Should of stayed in bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
So trying to get wood cut today for the storm rolling through on Friday my saw stopped working. But thats minor i suppose. My problem is that my lovely blue bomb has developed an intermittent no start. Its done it a few times before to me. Usually cycling the key gets it going. Yesterday it happened after it sat for a few hours while i was at a fire department training. Cycled they key about 10 times and she fired up. Engine was cold. Today it happened twice. The engine was warm. Today i cycled the key a few times again and no go. Poured some fuel into the throttle body and it took a few times. My fuel filter is only a couple months old. Every other time my fuel filter clogs i get issues while driving. Never a no start. What could be the issue? As im sure some of you know my diagnostic skills are lacking so im turning to my truck bros for help.thanks

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So trying to get wood cut today for the storm rolling through on Friday my saw stopped working. But thats minor i suppose. My problem is that my lovely blue bomb has developed an intermittent no start. Its done it a few times before to me. Usually cycling the key gets it going. Yesterday it happened after it sat for a few hours while i was at a fire department training. Cycled they key about 10 times and she fired up. Engine was cold. Today it happened twice. The engine was warm. Today i cycled the key a few times again and no go. Poured some fuel into the throttle body and it took a few times. My fuel filter is only a couple months old. Every other time my fuel filter clogs i get issues while driving. Never a no start. What could be the issue? As im sure some of you know my diagnostic skills are lacking so im turning to my truck bros for help.thanks
Possibly your fuel pump shitting the bed.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Is it cranking, but not firing? Or are you turning the ignition with nothing happening?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have that issue with mine, it wont crank, hit the key and it gives one click and thats it. Its completely random too, if i keep hitting the key itll eventually crank.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Oh no she cranks like a champ.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh no she cranks like a champ.
Get someone to crank it over and feel and listen for the fuel pump. If the pump is weak and the voltage is down it may just not want to work. If you have an Amp clamp check for excessive current draw on the fuel pump wiring. That will tell you is tailing.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I hear the pump prime but i know that dosent mean its working fully. I have a clamp on multi meter that should have the amps function correct?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I hear the pump prime but i know that dosent mean its working fully. I have a clamp on multi meter that should have the amps function correct?
If it has a clamp yes.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I have that issue with mine, it wont crank, hit the key and it gives one click and thats it. Its completely random too, if i keep hitting the key itll eventually crank.

You could get a remote start switch to hook between the solenoid on the starter (signal post not starter power) and the battery. After the autozone model lasting only 10 turn overs, next time I'll just run a wire down there and short it to the positive terminal on the battery (key off). Just bump it and see if it messes up. If it doesn't, then it's likely your ignition switch. If it does, it's from starter to battery or ground.

Pull ignition power from the distributor so it won't start.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
The starter works perfectly. Motor turns strong. Im gonna test the fuel pump wires for amperage when i get home. Had a buddy crank it over while i watched under the hood. My fan clutch is a little worn but thats about it under there.
Get someone to crank it over and feel and listen for the fuel pump. If the pump is weak and the voltage is down it may just not want to work. If you have an Amp clamp check for excessive current draw on the fuel pump wiring. That will tell you is tailing.
What should the amps be for the pump? And i should test closest to the pump correct.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The starter works perfectly. Motor turns strong. Im gonna test the fuel pump wires for amperage when i get home. Had a buddy crank it over while i watched under the hood. My fan clutch is a little worn but thats about it under there.

What should the amps be for the pump? And i should test closest to the pump correct.
I can’t answer that with any kind of certainty. I can only say that 15+ amps would raise a flag with me. @1987 GMC Jimmy or @chengny may know off the top of their heads though.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I guess on a better note i am having another baby. Time to get snipped hahaha. If my math is right (and i have 10 fingers so should be good haha) shes due around Christmas. Hopefully the money situation improves soon so i can keep my blue bomb

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I guess on a better note i am having another baby. Time to get snipped hahaha. If my math is right (and i have 10 fingers so should be good haha) shes due around Christmas. Hopefully the money situation improves soon so i can keep my blue bomb
Congrats???? Lol I had it done at 30. Frozen peas are your friend, but what do I know I was out putting a trampoline together right afterwards. Lol

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Haha well this will make number 3 for us. Im 34 and shes 29. Our boy is 7 and our girl is 6. Kinda happy that we have some space between on this one lol. But no more.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Haha well this will make number 3 for us. Im 34 and shes 29. Our boy is 7 and our girl is 6. Kinda happy that we have some space between on this one lol. But no more.
Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii