Should I make a daily from my "parts truck" 76 GMC....??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
So I have been debating making a daily driver/grocery getter (not in winter months however!!) out of my 76 GMC parts truck.

I have been taking parts off of this green one to use on my 76 GMC dually build, but I am also removing those same parts from my dually truck because this green 76's parts are nicer/in better shape than my dually. So technically I have the parts to put the green one back together, won't be super pretty but my dually parts would work.

However, I hate the thought of sending this thing to scrap yard once I am done. I had planned on selling the engine & trans and parting the rest out....

However, I keep thinking "what if I made a cool daily/grocery getter out of it" and was talking to my younger brother one night about it with my idea's....and it went from there.

My thoughts: This green 76 runs great, so I would look over all mechanical items, replace brake lines and make it road safe, put on my dually parts to this truck (dash, vents, hood, grill, bezels, front bumper...etc.). THEN...add a set of derby headers through the hood on it just for fun (my brother is a derby guy, he loves the idea).

So two questions I ask myself;
1.) How much money could be made from parting the remainder of this truck out?
OR
2.) How much fun could it be if I did make it a daily driver/grocery getter with obnoxious headers?

The truck;

You must be registered for see images attach

The headers I would get for it;

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I say, Yes make a daily out of it!

Also, those headers will shout, "look at me", if that is what you are asking for. Stock exhaust for a more usable truck. Probably cheaper too.

Actually those headers shown are from Speedway I believe, around $170. There are also that same style header with a built in glasspack to mellow it down a bit too.

If you part it out i see something id be interested in....

What would that be? The whole truck :D I would probably let the whole thing go for $600 with the parts thrown in from my dually.

I'd make it a decent driver and sell it, rather than chop it up.

That is not a bad idea either. If I did fix it up & make it road safe and left the body "as is" and it would not have a tailgate unless I found one for dirt cheap, what is it really worth? As I said above, $600 as she sits with my dually parts. Now if I go through it, I would probably have to ask $1,500 to $2,000 for it....is it worth that amount?

Daily Driver. Fun is priceless.

I do like to have fun, I figured some noise would add to the fun. When was the last time you had ever seen a vehicle go down the road with 8 pipes out the hood? :anitoof:

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
That "parts truck" is bad ass!. I love the color, and I'd daily it, or at least have fun with it. Then again, that's your driveway / shop space.

I'm with 78C10BigTen though, in that I see a couple things I'd like to have to my Daisy if you're going to continue to take parts off of it.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Whatever you can get for it now is nothing compared to what it'll be worth in another 10 years or so when there are less squares to be had... I say daily it and try to keep the rust at bay.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Forget about option one, and daily that beast.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Here is kind of a picture of how it sits now...not super great I know, covered in snow now next to the garage (with a hood on it!). As you can see I have robbed a lot, not including most of the interior has been removed too, but it is still workable!

However, before I touch another square, the 51 Ford truck you see is going back into the garage after the dually. That truck got pushed to the side so I could build my blue truck.

Not like I need a decision now, but I think it would be a fun daily to have that green one going, unless someone makes me an offer I cannot refuse!!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Here is kind of a picture of how it sits now...not super great I know, covered in snow now next to the garage (with a hood on it!). As you can see I have robbed a lot, not including most of the interior has been removed too, but it is still workable!

However, before I touch another square, the 51 Ford truck you see is going back into the garage after the dually. That truck got pushed to the side so I could build my blue truck.

Not like I need a decision now, but I think it would be a fun daily to have that green one going, unless someone makes me an offer I cannot refuse!!

That is the most invisible snow I have ever seen...lol...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK