Shorter steering column?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
350, Vortec Heads, Hi-rise intake, long tube headers, BIG bump stick
May sound silly, anyone ever shorten their steering column to move the wheel closer to dash? I've got 6" - 8" of space between my aftermarket wheel and the dash, it would be nice to lose 4" or so of that space

Sent from the back woods of Maine via skiddah, cah, and a wicked pissah squarebody

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
May sound silly, anyone ever shorten their steering column to move the wheel closer to dash? I've got 6" - 8" of space between my aftermarket wheel and the dash, it would be nice to lose 4" or so of that space

Sent from the back woods of Maine via skiddah, cah, and a wicked pissah squarebody

I did, your not going to loose 4 inches. I think it's about 3 inches.
Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:

probably not the best pic to show the difference. I have been planing on do a write up on it. Just have had the time.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I did but I needed to do a 30 deg bend under the dash and have the steering lower shaft come threw the firewall at a angel so I used a astro van column . it is about 5 in away form the dash at the wheel

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Before:

After:

probably not the best pic to show the difference. I have been planing on do a write up on it. Just have had the time.

in a nutshell, I presume you relocated the mounting bracket on the column and shortened the shaft under the hood?

rolltide1

Reaction score
First Name
Tyrone
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Before:

After:

can you tell me how you shorten the steering column ?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
can you tell me how you shorten the steering column ?
It's a lot of steps, and it's not hard if you think about it. But it would take awhile to write it out.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Bringing it back...

We got time.

DrvnDrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I did but I needed to do a 30 deg bend under the dash and have the steering lower shaft come threw the firewall at a angel so I used a astro van column . it is about 5 in away form the dash at the wheel

I'd be interested to hear more about this swap but the user hasn't be on the board in 5 years. I wonder if it was plug & play or cut & fab? I thought I'd read somewhere that van columns were shorter.

I know there are aftermarket columns but I'm not spending $1k on one. I don't like the shift indicator on the housing but that street rod column looks like a decent option for pre '84 trucks without the wiper and high beam switches in the column.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Yeah, I am not spending $1k on a steering column. I'm alreay $8k over budget!

After searching, A LOT, I found a guy who did it by unbolting the retaining collar under thge dash and slid the whole assembly away from him about 2" then used the next set of holes to bolt it back together. Of course had to shorten the rod under the hood the same amount. I'll look into this and if I do it I will take pics.

This is his pic:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yeah, I am not spending $1k on a steering column. I'm alreay $8k over budget!

After searching, A LOT, I found a guy who did it by unbolting the retaining collar under thge dash and slid the whole assembly away from him about 2" then used the next set of holes to bolt it back together. Of course had to shorten the rod under the hood the same amount. I'll look into this and if I do it I will take pics.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to your findings! I'm guessing you'll have to move the flange at the firewall too?

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Yah, the stoopid expensive Borgeson Shaft, hurts my eyes every time I get bored and search for one on sale. I have an inner tube wrapped and zip tied over my upper socket joint, just to keep the grease in and the water out. It works OK. Made a Delrin bushing to replace the lower bearing race assembly, using the OEM retaining cover to hold it all in there. I'm tempted to weld it in, but then it can never be repaired, so for now it has a few screws keeping it in place.

If the eBay unit works OK. I'de be interested in seeing how your's came out too.
I was really worried the quality would be off, since the next best pricing is double, or more, from the usual suspects...

DrvnDrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On my EBay unit there is no provision for the underdash clamp. I cut the clamp part off the existing column and used that. The ring for the shift lever is right up against the dash bezel. I have to loosen the underdash column clamp to get my instrument panel bezel off. The column came with the correct plug fur ignition signals and stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl