Short bed side rust prevention?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
I just spent two weeks cutting/grinding /welding/painting on both of my NLA bed sides! Does anyone have a method to treat the inside of the bed panels? and the floor supports? the floor supports can only be accessed 1/3 of the way from each end! How do you treat the center portion? and the other smaller supports? The bed panels are too narrow to get any portion of my arm up in far enough to do any good. The front edge on the psg side took the biggest hit and the arch over the tire on the driver side. both tailgate posts were GONE from the floor down and an inch up!! Now that all is well again I'd like to "treat" as best I can to prevent this from happening again too soon. Has anyone tried drilling access holes inside near the top of the side rails to allow spraying oil Etc. the 3/8 inch ziebart plugs would fit in perfect to block off the holes these would allow access in between the panels? Any and all suggestions will be considered!!

Thanks

Olnick

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wouldn't suggest any spraying oil, dirt will stick to it and IMO start the whole rust process all over. IMO you best solution would be to ensure there is at least a primer weldable primer coat to protect the metal, then after welding apply another coat of primer/paint on the areas where it was welded.

I would suggest taking the bed off and putting it on the end standing up, scuff the underside areas with a scuff pad. Prime it and then undercoat every where water would have access too. Since the bed is off you can address any issues on the frame as well.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Eastwood sells a neat kit that allows you to spray inside frame rails up to 2 feet. Check them out.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Eastwood's internal frame coating is pretty good stuff, a little costly, but worth it. Make sure to get a can of pre paint prep spray to clean out the nozzle and hose to be able to reuse it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
I have zero personal experience with rust but I have heard of people using a spray on bedliner to help prevent rust build up. Not sure if that would be something you'd want to look into.

Donnie

Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
see if there is a Rust check or Krown dealer by you and have them spray it. I just sold an 04 Deville with no rust
that was rust checked every fall.

heres a Krown dealer I found

Gilly’s Auto LLC
603-443-1994
1205 Route 114, Grantham New Hampshire, 03753

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Sorry I'm a tech moron but I don't know how to make a link "hot" but here's the URL(?) for a good read:

howtosavemoney.ca/which-rust-proofing-service-is-best.

I'm sure someone will know how to make it a link you can click on.

Shows a study conducted by the Canadian Military for rust-proofing vehicles. Note for those in Canada, they say stay away from Canadian Tire, for the most part. Don't live in Canada so not familiar with that company.

I just typed in "Which Rustproofing Service Is Best?" and found it.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
For a good read on the topic I went to:

howtosavemoney.ca/which-rust-proofing-sevice-is-best.

It shows a study by the Canadian Military comparing top rust proofing companies.

Not saying one is better than another since I have no experience with any but more information can't be a bad thing.

Tried to enter this once already but I guess I wasn't successful on first attempt.

ETA: Of course when I attempted to post second post, the first showed up. Duh???

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I have had my suburban treated with Krown each of the last 2 years. Previously it was out west and had near zero rust when I got it. I figure $150 a year is pretty cheap to keep it without rust problems here in the midwest.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What do they spray on it. Is it like actual under coating like rubberized, is it paint or just some oily type product?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
What do they spray on it. Is it like actual under coating like rubberized, is it paint or just some oily type product?

Krown is an oil like product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat