Shock Extenders or Drop Shocks with 4" rear drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
As the title says, what would you guys go for? Shock extenders, or a drop shock?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the shock extenders, since that gives a little more shock travel (since you are using the longer factory shock). Now, if I'm not mistaken, shock extenders also correct the shock angle back to factory, so they are less horizontal.

So, with those considered, why would I want to run drop shocks over shock extenders? Are there any downsides to the extenders that I am unaware of?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
As the title says, what would you guys go for? Shock extenders, or a drop shock?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the shock extenders, since that gives a little more shock travel (since you are using the longer factory shock). Now, if I'm not mistaken, shock extenders also correct the shock angle back to factory, so they are less horizontal.

So, with those considered, why would I want to run drop shocks over shock extenders? Are there any downsides to the extenders that I am unaware of?
I got a 5in flip with shock extenders and stock shocks, works just fine.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
With that much of a drop aren't you then taking a bigger chance of clanking the bottom of your shocks on the ground or other unintended result? With that much of a drop I'd personally go with a drop shock.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
With that much of a drop aren't you then taking a bigger chance of clanking the bottom of your shocks on the ground or other unintended result? With that much of a drop I'd personally go with a drop shock.

4" is actually a pretty mild drop. I've seen a few people that are running flip kits plus shackle and hangers, and they are running shock extenders as well. Not to say they don't have issues, but if they do, they sure don't post about them. Based on my guesstimates (and some rudimentary measurements), the shock extenders should only be about 1/2"-3/4" below the pumpkin. If I'm getting that close to hitting something in a 2wd, I've probably got other things to worry about.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What do shock extenders look like? Sorry for the noob question... I've never lowered a square.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Here's a picture of them.

They basically just lower the mounting point to match where they were when the axle was in the factory location (within reason). That keeps the shocks more vertical, and allows the use of a longer shock with more travel as compared to a shorter drop shock.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
4" is actually a pretty mild drop. I've seen a few people that are running flip kits plus shackle and hangers, and they are running shock extenders as well. Not to say they don't have issues, but if they do, they sure don't post about them. Based on my guesstimates (and some rudimentary measurements), the shock extenders should only be about 1/2"-3/4" below the pumpkin. If I'm getting that close to hitting something in a 2wd, I've probably got other things to worry about.

I would agree with that :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's pretty cool, I'd go with the shock extenders then.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
If you want to use them they will be fine, I've never had a clearance issue with shock extenders before. Scraping lower control arms on pavement is another story. LOL

Down Low 81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I added shackles and already had a flip kit. give me about 7" in the rear. i have beltech nitro Drop Shocks on the rear, and i'm gonna have to go shock extenders. the shocks just aren't vertical enough i don't think i'am get proper travel. that's actually what shock extenders do,helps get them out more vertical for proper travel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL