Shock Extenders for 4" Drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey, I have been shopping around for a drop kit for my truck and was thinking about the 2.5/4 kit from Western Chassis. Spindles and hanger/shackle. I was curious about the rear shocks though. I have read you can use the stock shocks on a flip kit rear with extenders in place but should the expenders also be used on the 4" drop? I am looking for as close to original ride quality as I can get with just a better stance.

I am shopping for new shocks too so I could get something special instead of stock if needed. I just need to know what to look for.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
A rear flip usually lowers the rear 6-7 inches. I personally think that anything more that 2 inches of drop, should use either a shorter stroke shock or extension brackets. If a full length shock is compressed and not allowed to cycle far enough, the dampening fluid tends to cavitate rendering it less efficient. On the contrary, if the shock is too short and it is overextended damage will also,occur internally from "topping out"

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hey, I have been shopping around for a drop kit for my truck and was thinking about the 2.5/4 kit from Western Chassis. Spindles and hanger/shackle. I was curious about the rear shocks though. I have read you can use the stock shocks on a flip kit rear with extenders in place but should the expenders also be used on the 4" drop? I am looking for as close to original ride quality as I can get with just a better stance.

I am shopping for new shocks too so I could get something special instead of stock if needed. I just need to know what to look for.

Shocks specifically made for lowered vehicles usually have larger diameter rods and different internal valving and dampening characteristics. "Standard " shocks for use on everyday vehicles and more generic. They do their job, but the length and stoke/valving will make a difference in the handling.
There are quite a few choices on the market when it comes to shock for lowered vehicles. Without getting into the high end, tunable shock with remote oil/nitrogen resevoirs, I would think as long as it is a gas charged shock with the correct length for the amount of drop you have, just about any brand will work.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I think four inches is too much to "extender" and will necessitate a specific shock.

...The extension does just that...it relocates the bottom mount to allow the stock length shock to cycle properly instead of buying shorter drop shocks.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are you both saying it's best to buy drop shocks for a 4" drop in the rear? I may be able to get them in the kit I end up ordering as well. That could make this whole process a bit simpler I suppose.

I am not really sold on those "extenders" anyway as it seems you would lose a lot of ground clearance. More than you already lose dropping it. Not that I will be doing a lot of off roading or anything but around here there are a lot of one lane roads where you need to drop one set of tires off the shoulder to pass and those seem like they are in a great place to hang on the corner of the street.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Drop shocks are the best way to go. Yes the extensions will hang 4 inches lower than the oem lower mount on the axles.

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I thought I remember reading that 4 wd front shocks are shorter
And will work on rear. Please ck out first and let us know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84