Shipping a Hood!! What carrier to use???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
First off, Im from Wisconsin, I live in San Diego cause im in the military for 2.5 more years after the 3.5 i have already served. My project truck is in wisconsin. My buddies getting ready to paint it back in wisconsin, but I wasnt planning painting it till i got out, but plans change! I bought a goodmark cowl hood out here off craigslist brand new for 200 bucks and had the intentions of moving it back with all my household items. well my buddies painting it this summer and i need to ship it to wisconsin as cheap as possible. Anybody got any ideas who to ship through???

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
For what it costs these days, you are better off reselling that hood and buying a new one that get's delivered where you need it, or just wait and take it back with you. Why can't your buddy just paint the hood later?

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
If you really want to ship it you should probably look into greyhound. Seems they are most reasonable for big items. Too bad they won't ship a long bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
For what it costs these days, you are better off reselling that hood and buying a new one that get's delivered where you need it, or just wait and take it back with you. Why can't your buddy just paint the hood later?[/QUOTE

My buddy is a legit painter and body guy, he wants to line up the gaps, note the spacers, paint, then reassemble. so he needs the hood for that cause the hood isnt going to be a 100% match to the old hood. Unless shipping is going to cost 300 bucks, i will not loose out on money. 400 for a hood plus 100 for shipping for a new goodmark. I paid 200 for a brand new one. Got a buddy that drives truck all over the country, so im hoping that he can pick it up for me, but i still need a backup plan

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think shipping will be more than 300. And it will need properly boxed/crated to avoid damage, that takes the average guy A LOT of time or you have to pay the shipping company to do it.

I've shipped hoods before and packaged them myself, it's a PITA. And that was back before shipping prices skyrocketed, back then I remembering it being in the neighborhood of 200 bucks.

And if the truck has factory front fenders, it can easily be painted now and install the hood later without much trouble. Of course it's not as easy as having it all at once, but again, it's not that big of a deal. Now if your fenders are aftermarket, all bets are off. They are too easy to damage just getting them lined up, so yeah, you really want to mock everything up before paint.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Greyhound can be a great deal. If it can fit in the underbelly, which it should, they can ship it. I shipped a racing kart chassis (almost as big) once for $75....Only time I've used them.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
LOTS of shipping insurance........

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
Thanks for the help guys, im gonna price out grey hound and uship! thanks

bloodrunner83

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
357ci
So greyhound wont ship the hood cause its just over the size limit, but they quoted me 165 for the shipping if got a slightly smaller box. Fedex freight quoted me 195 for the shipping from their local store to a residence. So im going with fedex cause nobody picked up my ad on USHIP. so 200 for a brand new goodmark hood thats 500 online plus 100-150 shipping and my 195 to ship my hood. so 395 total to get the hood to wisconsin vs 650 to buy a new one so im still saving at least 200 bucks! That will buy alot of beer! Plus ive been looking at the local craigslist in wisconsin, and there have been none on there to buy and just sell mine again. thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL