Shining up the trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Hello everyone, been a while. Work continues but down to the nitty gritty - aka shining up my trim. This is the original trim and looks..........cloudy. I have tried softscrub, aluminium polish and many other things. I would like to get it looking better and keep it from getting cloudy again. Also, need to do some work on the tailgate band and the band across the back of the cab. Both are brushed aluminium so do not want to mess that up.

Thanks for all your help.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Hello everyone, been a while. Work continues but down to the nitty gritty - aka shining up my trim. This is the original trim and looks..........cloudy. I have tried softscrub, aluminium polish and many other things. I would like to get it looking better and keep it from getting cloudy again. Also, need to do some work on the tailgate band and the band across the back of the cab. Both are brushed aluminium so do not want to mess that up.

Thanks for all your help.
@My78truck See my answer to your Question in the @Swims350 post

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Aluminum trim is anodized. In the past [on parts made out of unobtanium] have gone to a chrome shop and had them strip off the coating and polish. But the trim will oxidize afterward so the trim will need to be re-polished occasionally like aluminum wheel would or clear coated.

edit, there might be shops that can re-apply the coating. Anodizing is horrible on the environment and has been legislated out of most areas. There are also several different kinds. On a part that is reproduced it probably won't make economic sense.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400