Shift soft into OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ok I had the 700 r4 rebuilt about 4 months ago it shifts fine fluid clean level good. Now I have been noticing when on the throttle about 60% around 55 mph it goes into od kinda softly and motor kicks down while doing so. Around town under half throttle shifts fine no complaints. I feel like the performance of the motor is the problem here not transmission that's why I haven't brought back to shop yet that rebuilt it he told me to bring it in for a road test but with work right now not happening. Is there anything I should be looking into like carb or timing? Ever since the summer heat she does seem to be lacking in performance but I left it alone because otherwise it runs great. And alot of guys say if it ain't broke don't fix it so I've been playing it by ear.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I agree about the heat, I’ve notised it a bit too, she runs a lot better in the 60s then the 110s. But unless you feel it slipping slightly as it goes into od I’d just let it ride until you let the shop road test it

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’d say revise the TV cable adjustment first off or have he installed do it. Also, what’s the lockup situation? Factory vacuum circuit, manually controlled?

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I’d say revise the TV cable adjustment first off or have he installed do it. Also, what’s the lockup situation? Factory vacuum circuit, manually controlled?
Manually controlled and the tv cable is good where it's at I would assume all other gears and kickdown work like a charm. Just seems like of can be weak when I'm getting on the throttle.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Also found out today the ol lady has been putting regular in the truck ever since I've been using her car to get to work. I fill with plus it's funny how we can tell these trucks aren't quite right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC