Seized Brake Drum '78 C30 - HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I am trying to unstick the drivers side rear brake drum on my C30 Project. I've removed the wheel and have beating the tar out of it with a 6# sledge. I'd like to try to preserve it if possible since they're so expensive to replace but I can't do anything with it seized like this. I've also tried prying on the lugs with a pry bar (gently) to try to to put some spin on it. No dice. Next is heat and more pounding. Any suggestions? Y'all have been tremendously helpful so far.

Broken main leaf addressed in a separate post.

You must be registered for see images attach

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hey buddy, that's not a slide off drum. That axle you have is called a full floater and it's on of the best in terms of weight hauling and durability.

To remove the drum you'll need to take the 8 bolts out on the end of the axle, that's those small bolts in your picture. Once those are out the axle will slide out. Inside of that will be a bearing set that will be somewhat similar to a front axle. After you disassembly the bearings the drum will come off.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Tyler, you better get a book or watch some U tube videos.

That full floating axle drum is held on the hub with all 8 studs.

1) Take off the 8 axle bolts (center)
2) Remove the axle
3) Remove two axle nuts inside the hub
4) Now the hub, bearings and drum will all come off together

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
When you say seized you mean it's stuck to the shoes and won't turn, or as above you're just trying to pull the drum off?

If it's stuck to the shoes you can try to go through the backing plate port and push the adjuster lever out of the way and back off the star wheel to allow the shoes to retract more which may help them unstick.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Tyler, 2 more quick points: Best to have a heavy piece of plywood under the jack when lifting a truck on a soft surface. A jack stand, also on wood is a missing safety too.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Tyler, 2 more quick points: Best to have a heavy piece of plywood under the jack when lifting a truck on a soft surface. A jack stand, also on wood is a missing safety too.

Thanks for the feedback but I had a 2 x 12 under the jack while jacking, now it's just sitting there. There are also 2 jack stands in concrete pads farther back out of the picture. This aint my first rodeo ;-)

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Hey buddy, that's not a slide off drum. That axle you have is called a full floater and it's on of the best in terms of weight hauling and durability.

To remove the drum you'll need to take the 8 bolts out on the end of the axle, that's those small bolts in your picture. Once those are out the axle will slide out. Inside of that will be a bearing set that will be somewhat similar to a front axle. After you disassembly the bearings the drum will come off.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks for the feedback but I had a 2 x 12 under the jack while jacking, now it's just sitting there. There are also 2 jack stands in concrete pads farther back out of the picture. This aint my first rodeo ;-)

I am glad to hear this. The picture looked dangerous.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
When you say seized you mean it's stuck to the shoes and won't turn, or as above you're just trying to pull the drum off?

If it's stuck to the shoes you can try to go through the backing plate port and push the adjuster lever out of the way and back off the star wheel to allow the shoes to retract more which may help them unstick.

Yes, the drum appears to be seized on the pads, or the bearings are seized altogether. I got the other side to turn but it feels pretty crusty. I'm just assuming the pads are seized to the drum. Eventually I'll want to pull the drum off but for now, I just want the truck to be mobile. i'll try loosening them up.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Yes, the drum appears to be seized on the pads, or the bearings are seized altogether. I got the other side to turn but it feels pretty crusty. I'm just assuming the pads are seized to the drum. Eventually I'll want to pull the drum off but for now, I just want the truck to be mobile. i'll try loosening them up.

If it's stuck to the shoes you should be able to pick up a slight amount of movement because of slack in the assembly. If not there may be more to it. Let us know how the unloosening goes.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That's a picture of me!!!!!

Funny side story, I use to work in shop years ago that the building was built in 1910. It was this funky L shaped building that once had an apartment over the oldest half, which we used for parts storage. The bathroom was added on. It looked like it hadn't been given much love in the last 50 years and the office was extremely small. Yet it the door to the parking lot opened in, against current code it was grandfathered in. The office was so small a notch was cut out of the front counter so the door wouldn't hit it. Despite the signs people would also try to open the door the opposite way. Sometimes it could be quite comical. Sometime I'll have to tell you all a story about that place.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
He said it wont spin, has nothing to do with removing it .

Have you tried backing off the star wheel that sets drum brake adjustment?

Its accessible thru the backplate in a rectangular hole.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
He said it wont spin, has nothing to do with removing it .

Have you tried backing off the star wheel that sets drum brake adjustment?

Its accessible thru the backplate in a rectangular hole.

That's a great idea.

Wish I had thought of that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack541