@#!$%$& Seized brake calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
My state here LOVES to slather on de-icer onto all the roads. Often I see those bastards out at 5 am dumping it onto dry pavement. Forecast for the day? 10% chance of light snow...

I've had 2 seize up this year so far. One rear one (yes, disc brake conversion) and now a front one. I lose typically at least one per year.

I've tried different brands from different stores. Nothing seems to matter. Lately I've been using NAPA ones just because their store is covenant.

Should I coat the hell out of the piston area with brake grease to try and seal it better?

Or should I just replace all 4 every year as a preventive thing?

Luckily I haven't been out in the middle of nowhere and had the damn thing seize up yet.... but give it time.

Any ideas?

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Lifetime warranty, and get new ones every year? We get so little snow, that when we do, the area just shuts down. I am the only one on the road during lunch on a weekday.
You must be registered for see images attach

Few random idiots like me out during those times.

For context- this road is usually packed.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It was 89 here when the sun came up this morning. How the f**k are you getting snow in July?

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
It was 89 here when the sun came up this morning. How the f**k are you getting snow in July?
LOL, it was to show 77K20 some places dont use salt, and grime. We just shut down. Like a haha kinda thing. Pic is from like Feb, or March.

Hey they would have to stop the global warming rants if that pic was taken recently. Right? Nah, liberals arent that smart. Ice caps melting causing it to snow. LOL

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
That's weird to have that many seize, and be of various brands too. Even up here in Michigan, where they dump salt and deicer the same way (I have literally seen them scraping and salting dry roads), I've only ever had one of the rotted shitboxes I've owned over the years seize a caliper (or two in this case) it was on an old jeep, and never had a problem after I replaced them. Are they actually corroding and seizing? It couldn't be contamination in the system causing it?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
My state here LOVES to slather on de-icer onto all the roads. Often I see those bastards out at 5 am dumping it onto dry pavement. Forecast for the day? 10% chance of light snow...

I've had 2 seize up this year so far. One rear one (yes, disc brake conversion) and now a front one. I lose typically at least one per year.

I've tried different brands from different stores. Nothing seems to matter. Lately I've been using NAPA ones just because their store is covenant.

Should I coat the hell out of the piston area with brake grease to try and seal it better?

Or should I just replace all 4 every year as a preventive thing?

Luckily I haven't been out in the middle of nowhere and had the damn thing seize up yet.... but give it time.

Any ideas?

snow already? I would see if any of the replacements have the phenolic pistons, that may help prevent them seizing.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
snow already? I would see if any of the replacements have the phenolic pistons, that may help prevent them seizing.

This is something I haven't heard of- what are phenolic pistons? I had to look up what the pistons were made of on the ones I have bought: steel.

Is there a particular brand that uses phenolic pistons?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
That's weird to have that many seize, and be of various brands too. Even up here in Michigan, where they dump salt and deicer the same way (I have literally seen them scraping and salting dry roads), I've only ever had one of the rotted shitboxes I've owned over the years seize a caliper (or two in this case) it was on an old jeep, and never had a problem after I replaced them. Are they actually corroding and seizing? It couldn't be contamination in the system causing it?

I bought a 2014 Passat with only 20,000 miles on it 2 years ago. After going thru one winter my front right caliper seized. No it isn't just my K20 it has been all my vehicles for the last 10 years.

The system is brand new and the fluid is as clear as possible- so no corrosion.

I have a heck of a time with a huge C clamp to get the piston pushed back in- so definitely some corrosion going on.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is something I haven't heard of- what are phenolic pistons? I had to look up what the pistons were made of on the ones I have bought: steel.

Thought Most pistons are aluminum

I’ve had a couple seize up after less than three years in Georgia

Where it was 96 and 90% humidity this afternoon

Phenolic is some kind of plastic
Never seen one

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

I have never heard of the brand but GMT400s used a phenolic piston and is what made em think of it. With the troubles you are having I would check your local lifetime warranty stores and find one that has phenolic\alum. pistons so you dont have to replace them every year and when you do they are free. Also make sure your brake fluid is new/clear as it ages it gets water in it and can make the calipers/lines rust from the inside out.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9746196&cc=1051681&jsn=1116&jsn=1116

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
So just now finally got around to looking into this. I've been making trips from MT to Seattle for doctor appointments for my daughter. Taking up a lot of time and $$.

In fact this latest incident occurred while I was in Seattle. The wife called me and said the front wheel of the truck was smoking. Based on previous history I figured brake...

No. The spindle nuts backed off and then caused the hub to engage on the highway. Before it fully engaged it ground itself to hell. All the grease in there smells burned- hub, bearing, and spindle look ruined.

I'll open up another thread asking some related questions to this.

:banghead:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990