Second Thoughts about paint color

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm looking for pictures or members trucks...or just persuasive opinions, lol. I'm looking to paint steelies, grill, tool box and headache rack the same color. I was going to go with smoke gray from rustoleum, but I'm not sure how it'll look next to my tan paint. the tan paint in question is close to, if not gm frost beige. I'm thinking of heading back to Home Depot and swapping my gallon of smoke gray for white. white would be more OEMish on the steelies, but not so much on the grill. I can always get a grill online that's already the "factory" gray for $30ish if I don't like how the white turns out. I'm thinking the weather guard tool box is already white and I can get a headache rack in white...stock steelies are white... what are your opinions on the matter?

thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
White except for the grille. My shortbed truck had a white grille when I bought it, that matched the lower body color. I thought it looked much better when I swapped it for black. I think white would look even more goofy on a tan truck.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
White except for the grille. My shortbed truck had a white grille when I bought it, that matched the lower body color. I thought it looked much better when I swapped it for black. I think white would look even more goofy on a tan truck.
Maybe just the factory argent silver color then...

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I was going to say argent. At least for the grille. We have a number of things at the shop that are Rustoleum Smoke Grey and it's not a bad color, but I would consider it a medium grey, not light.

It's all personal preference of course, but I don't know that it's a good color for one of these trucks unless it's coordinates well with the color of the truck itself. As a generalization I prefer the white factory look for the wheels if you're using hubcaps, you could possibly do the headache rack in black if you think you've got too much white.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I think with the cream colored body you could get by with the white or grey for the wheels and cab guard. With regards to the grill, what about a darker grey like on the 83-84 Silverados. It would give it some more contrast.

You must be registered for see images attach

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'm looking for pictures or members trucks...or just persuasive opinions, lol. I'm looking to paint steelies, grill, tool box and headache rack the same color. I was going to go with smoke gray from rustoleum, but I'm not sure how it'll look next to my tan paint. the tan paint in question is close to, if not gm frost beige. I'm thinking of heading back to Home Depot and swapping my gallon of smoke gray for white. white would be more OEMish on the steelies, but not so much on the grill. I can always get a grill online that's already the "factory" gray for $30ish if I don't like how the white turns out. I'm thinking the weather guard tool box is already white and I can get a headache rack in white...stock steelies are white... what are your opinions on the matter?

thanks!

White w/beige sounds good. White on the steelies too. You can always make the grill whatever suits you. They can be soda blasted without too much trouble to change the color.

I am thinking about black down the middle with silver above and below on mine with aluminum rims.
That black top has to go. Too much heat!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I picked up some rustoleum professional enamel in the aluminum color. I’m doing the grill with it and a trial on one of the wheels. If I don’t like it on the wheel, I’m going white. The aluminum color was the closest to argent I could find in the high solids professional line. Not a ton of choice if you want the gallon of rustoleum in either high performance or industrial.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Are you planning to spray/roll/brush or a combination?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Spray in a gravity fed hvlp cheapy. 30% acetone.

edit: forgot to mention hardener and Japan dryer, albeit those components are a small percentage.

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Don't forget before and after pix!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Sprayed the primer on my wheels today. Had a few gnats land in the wet primer. One of the joys of painting outdoors. I usually plan on a 220-320 sand before topcoat anyhow.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small