Second row window replacement question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chamus

Reaction score
First Name
Chamus
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hey, guys. I've perused the forum in the past, but never joined. Consider this my Introduction.

I'll get right to it. I've got a 1989 Suburban with a second row window that needs to be replaced. I've got the replacement window too, so that's even better.

Now, how exactly do I go about getting the previous window out? As for relevant information, it is equipped with factory power will does, not manual handcrank windows, and the window I'm replacing is currently locked in the UP position (neither the switch for the door, nor the drivers door switch can get it moving. I haven't yet determined the cause, as my intentions to do so were part of this project)

Now, I am familiar with my 70s and 80s GM and I can tell I've got to get the window up and out of the door entirely, then slide it off of the mounting rail. With the window currently in the UP position and the motor not responding, what is the best method here?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If it were me, I'd pull the inner door panel, get a voltmeter, turn the ignition to ACC and start probing.
You'll find the electrical schematic on the front page of GMSB.

Chamus

Reaction score
First Name
Chamus
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah, I've got the service manuals and all that fun, just wanted to ask here first. After taking a look at it, that's the same conclusion that I've come to. No way this window is coming out without moving.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Normally you can unbolt the regulator from the door, with the window up. It may be difficult to pop loose though if there's a lot of pressure holding the glass up.

Chamus

Reaction score
First Name
Chamus
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well, I've gotten the window off of the regulator, but my question still hasn't been answered.

How do I get the window out of the door?

Chamus

Reaction score
First Name
Chamus
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Managed to do that. Reconnected the regulator and tried the motor. I got it to move half an I checked up (back into full UP position) but now it won't move again. Looks like it can go up, but not down.

Chamus

Reaction score
First Name
Chamus
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
And now I've had time to finagle with the motor (it's freezing outside so I took a break)

The motor works fine, up and down, when I jumped it directly. However from the window switch on that door, as well as the master switch on the driver's door, the motor can be moved up, but not down. So I know the motor is good, every other window moves, so it isn't the breakers, and the switch is good, because I tested it by swapping it with the other one. Now I need to find the wiring issue that is causing it to go up, but not down.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Was it slow going up? If the motor is about dead, it may go up but not down, due to the helper spring on the regulator. If the motor went up quickly, it may be a broken wire or a bad switch.

Iirc, the window slides off the regulator and out of the door after removing the little quarter window.

Chamus

Reaction score
First Name
Chamus
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Turns out everything was good, once I went through the wiring. I suspected the master switch may have something to do with it, and sure enough, after reconnecting the single loose wire I found there, everything works agaon and I've managed to get it all out back together.

Now I get to change the opposite second row mirror one day (my truck has factory tint, except that window, so I figure that it broke it has been changed in the past, before I owned the truck) but I'll be wholly more prepared, having figured out what I need to do this time.

For anyone who stumbles onto this post in the futurr, while looking for help, here's what I did.

After disconnecting both too and bottom door panel, the door handle, the mounts for the window regulator, and the mounts for the window track, I was able to finagle the window regulator out of the window itself (wouldn't have needed to, if I could roll the window down) once I had the window separated from the regulator, I eased it out of the slide track (on the side opposite the door hinges) and was able to pull the window up and out the inside of the the door. I did the reverse in installing the new window, bolted everything back up, and it was fine.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You have done well Grasshopper. But many other tests await you. Your determination is impressive.
You must be registered for see images attach

Chamus

Reaction score
First Name
Chamus
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Oh I've done way more harrowing car repairs. I'm enjoying owning this truck, since I can buy literally any particular for it, used at a junkyard, or brand new from LMC. I'm not used to that. My daily driver for the last ten years was essentially hand built and spare parts don't exist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey