Seat covers, looking for recommendations - later in the thread reports on how my cover is holding up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm a big fan of the saddle blanket style seat covers and have bought one for every truck I've owned. When I got the square it already had that style seat cover on it. It's pretty much worn out on the drivers side, so I went to my go to place to get another one which is https://www.seatcoverman.com/ I've had their saddle blanket seat covers on all my trucks in the past. Each cover is made to order, his prices are great and the quality is excellent. So I go to order one for the square and they are temporarily closed due to staff and material shortage.

So, anyone that uses somewhere else for saddle blanket seat cover, and has been happy with the product, please let me know. Thanks.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
B078XCVKDK

Enter this into Amazon .Com and it’s yours for 40$

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
B078XCVKDK

Enter this into Amazon .Com and it’s yours for 40$
Do you happen to have this seat cover? I've actually looked at the seat cover which is made by West Coast Auto products. I have that the seat cover unlimited version which is $4 more in my cart, (amazon code B00OGMPZ62) The reason being is that the one you linked has a stretchy back and that is all that holds it in place, and people complain about it pulling off the back when they sit down, but if you have one I'd like to know if it's been an issue. The seat cover unlimited version is tied on with strings at least. Both have some reviews complaints about them falling apart. I would expect anything universal in the $40 price range to be lower quality than, the $75 hand crafted seat cover man covers I normally get and that's fine as long as it'll stay on the seat. I'm a mechanic so I'm likely to stain it with grease anyway so spending $150 or more is not going to happen.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
No I don’t, but I have had one in the past, worked well enough, it’s a wear item, your hopping in and out so take it for what it’s worth that it’s a cover

Toolbox350

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I have the FIA TR44 in my 86 K10. Good fit and good material. Has the plastic latches and they do slip some on the driver side. Maybe tie the straps after you get the cover on? Spring job for me. Too cold out right now.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not being able to order a Saddleman seat cover, and not wanting to spend $200 I ordered the seat covers unlimited saddle blanket seat cover from amazon. It should be here this week. I choose the seatcovers unlimted unit over the West coast auto products one because the Seat covers unlimted version is all saddle blanket material with some sort of string tie system to hold it on. West coast uses an elastic back and reviews say people seem to have trouble with it sliding off. Both had some neg reviews on not lasting very long, which for a cheap cover that's fine. My trucks factory seat is practically pristine so as long as the cover protects that I'm good with that and maybe it'll by me sometime until Saddleman opens back up, and heck if the cover ends up fitting good and lasting all the better. I did look at the FIA and might have ordered one, but I did not like that they are using what looks to be a elastic around it. So I'll let you all know how I feel about the Saddleman cover when it gets here.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok so as I said I ordered the Seat covers unlimited, saddle blanket seat cover from Amazon. My criteria was that it cost less than $100, because the company I had been using was $70 and their quality was very good, his covers would last me about 10 years. So I tried to find something from someone else comparable in a similar price range. I was not able to do that so I decided to go with an economy cover, figuring if I could get a couple years out of it I'd be happy with that and then maybe the seat cover guy would be back in operation. Anyhow the seat covers unlimited unit arrived on Monday. I took it out of the package, looked at it and put it back in the package and initiated a return with amazon. The reason being is it's just a much lighter thinner blanket material than I'm use to. After doing a little more looking around and thinking about the price I spent for this one ($40). I decided what the heck and went ahead and put it on. For the most part I'm glad I did. It's a nice looking cover, it fits the seat very well and secures in place very well.

Pictures will be in 2 posts and I'll have a little more commentary in the next post.

Below, simple string attachment. Front of the cover attaches underneath the seat. the back of the seat attaches to the loops on the center part of the seat cover. Attaching it like that seems to hold it firmly to the seat and also allows the seat to hinge forward for behind the seat access with the cover not limiting travel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just filled the front pockets with all my stuff out of the old cover. You can hardly even tell there is stuff in there they are a nice large size pocket.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I still have concerns about how long this one will last, due to the relative thinness of the saddle blanket material, but I have to say that once installed it looks really, really good feels good and stays put, basically checking all the boxes a saddle blanket cover should. I do see that there are two flaws in the cover material. Time will tell if these develop into issues or not. For the price paid I don't mind them and honestly unless your scrutinizing the cover you don't see them I'm just concerned that in time it could be an unraveling point.

It's pretty hard to see in the first picture, but in the second there is a little loop of the weave. I was able to massage it down so it won't be a catch point and perhaps that is all there is to it.

Sure looks good though, and that's all that last picture is. Just one more photo of the cover looking good. As time goes on I will update this thread with how it wears and holds up, being in a daily driver that is used for my commute and farm work.

Overall at this time I am glad that I bought it and that I changed my mind on returning it. Now we see how long it lasts!

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I will look back at my online purchases and tell you who NOT to buy from. The one I purchased was listed as for bench seat in 73-87 Chev/GMC. It arrived with cutouts for headrests, two dinky little pieces of cloth supposedly for the headrests, though not enough to cover the end of the shifter knob. I rechecked the packaging to verify I purchased the correct item - yup. It is scientifically designed to not only NOT fit and squarebody with a bench seat, it also doesn't fit ANY GM, Ford, or Dodge product with a bench seat, small, medium or full-size truck. The seat cover is actually amazing! I couldn't give it away. It should be sent to the Taliban or China so they can go crazy figuring it out.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I still have concerns about how long this one will last, due to the relative thinness of the saddle blanket material, but I have to say that once installed it looks really, really good feels good and stays put, basically checking all the boxes a saddle blanket cover should. I do see that there are two flaws in the cover material. Time will tell if these develop into issues or not. For the price paid I don't mind them and honestly unless your scrutinizing the cover you don't see them I'm just concerned that in time it could be an unraveling point.

It's pretty hard to see in the first picture, but in the second there is a little loop of the weave. I was able to massage it down so it won't be a catch point and perhaps that is all there is to it.

Sure looks good though, and that's all that last picture is. Just one more photo of the cover looking good. As time goes on I will update this thread with how it wears and holds up, being in a daily driver that is used for my commute and farm work.

Overall at this time I am glad that I bought it and that I changed my mind on returning it. Now we see how long it lasts!
It looks like the same one I got from lmc, about $50 a few years ago. You are correct about the thickness, the build is nice as in design. But the quality lacks, mine faded a lot, and just like you're concerns, the thing started splitting between the individual threads of the fabric after use. Unless you're lifting your ass off the seat any time you move, you will eventually ruin it, mine took about a year to become "ugly" and started deteriorating.

Didn't have a problem with the pockets or anything, the strings are good, the only con is the material stretches and the strings will need to be readjusted. It didn't seem to stay in place great, but it wasn't bad, maybe if you figured out a way to secure the cover in the seat crack it wouldn't move, maybe a piece of steel rod or something, maybe tie that up to the seat too?

I love my saddle blanket seat covers, especially with the pockets, so many old trucks around here have em, the old ones too! The ones that last forever, and are still a pain in the ass to remove somehow lol.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It looks like the same one I got from lmc, about $50 a few years ago. You are correct about the thickness, the build is nice as in design. But the quality lacks, mine faded a lot, and just like you're concerns, the thing started splitting between the individual threads of the fabric after use. Unless you're lifting your ass off the seat any time you move, you will eventually ruin it, mine took about a year to become "ugly" and started deteriorating.

Didn't have a problem with the pockets or anything, the strings are good, the only con is the material stretches and the strings will need to be readjusted. It didn't seem to stay in place great, but it wasn't bad, maybe if you figured out a way to secure the cover in the seat crack it wouldn't move, maybe a piece of steel rod or something, maybe tie that up to the seat too?

I love my saddle blanket seat covers, especially with the pockets, so many old trucks around here have em, the old ones too! The ones that last forever, and are still a pain in the ass to remove somehow lol.
For the price paid and IDK 30 to 45 minute install time, if I get a year out of that's fine I guess. Would I like longer sure of course, but if nothing else that'll give me a year to find another reputable small saddle blanket seat cover maker, making a quality product at a reasonable price. I do have an upholstery shop I've used in the past so might check to see if he'd make them.

One of the things about the cover I just got and you might agree with me, it's got a good securement method with lots of loops double sewn in, it would be pretty hard to tear on of them off and if that did occur there's enough of they you'd be able to get by missing one. And then the thin blanket material. To me that doesn't add up, I'm almost inclined to think that at one time they were good covers and the company has gone to using cheaper material to cut costs. IDK that's just something that I thought a few times while installing it.

Pockets was and will continue to be a requirement for me. I like the look and the durability or at least I like the durability of the better made ones.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
For the price paid and IDK 30 to 45 minute install time, if I get a year out of that's fine I guess. Would I like longer sure of course, but if nothing else that'll give me a year to find another reputable small saddle blanket seat cover maker, making a quality product at a reasonable price. I do have an upholstery shop I've used in the past so might check to see if he'd make them.

One of the things about the cover I just got and you might agree with me, it's got a good securement method with lots of loops double sewn in, it would be pretty hard to tear on of them off and if that did occur there's enough of they you'd be able to get by missing one. And then the thin blanket material. To me that doesn't add up, I'm almost inclined to think that at one time they were good covers and the company has gone to using cheaper material to cut costs. IDK that's just something that I thought a few times while installing it.

Pockets was and will continue to be a requirement for me. I like the look and the durability or at least I like the durability of the better made ones.
I agree. $50 a year doesn't ruin it for me but having to do it every year turns me off. Also I do like the mounting, a lot of attachment points and didn't have a problem with them other than getting loose after break in.

Pockets are a must. Also noticed quite a bit of shedding from the cover I got, and the material isn't as comfortable as the old ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54