SBC 350 - which non-synthetic oil to use after break-in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle K

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy Blazer K5
Engine Size
Hey folks, simple question for you. I just put in a new SBC 350 crate (with flat tappet cam), and finished the break-in process and am ready for my first oil change. I have been following the instructions below from Chevy Performance (https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...0-290-hp-long-block-crate-engine-19355658.pdf).

My question is for OIL CHANGE 1. I get confused on the synthetic vs. non-synthetic and want to get it right on these first couple of changes before switching to synthetic after second oil change (per instructions). Which non-synthetic should I use? I was going to use the Valvoline VR1 10w-30 as that always pops up for non-synthetic (https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-10W-30-VR1-Racing-Motor/dp/B00DJ4FMK2).

Thoughts? Thanks!

These are the steps related to oil (I just pasted the basics from the full article…)

BREAK-IN OIL - After installing the engine, ensure the crankcase has been filled with 10w30 motor oil (non-synthetic) to the recommended oil fill level on the dipstick.

Break in, run 30 miles, varying RPMs. (Done, I used Lucas SAE30 break-in oil as I read it was great for flat tappet - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...avwyzxIyQlBt5HpjyBLutfZn2fh-XcEoaAuVPEALw_wcB)

OIL CHANGE 1 - Change the oil and filter. Replace with 10w30 motor oil (non synthetic) - WDrive the next 500 miles under normal conditions or 12 to 15 engine hours. Do not run the engine at its maximum rated engine speed.

OIL CHANGE 2 - Change the oil and filter.
Do not use synthetic oil for break-in. It would be suitable to use synthetic motor oil after the second recommended oil change and mileage accumulation.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
For 500 miles, I would just buy Wally World Super Tech conventional - like 13 bux for 5 quarts.

I am not a mechanic or engine builder, though, so take it for what it is worth.

I do use Super Tech quite a bit in my own vehicles.

Britt

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
For 500 miles, I would just buy Wally World Super Tech conventional - like 13 bux for 5 quarts.

I am not a mechanic or engine builder, though, so take it for what it is worth.

I do use Super Tech quite a bit in my own vehicles.

Britt
I agree and do the same thing at the shop. I would buy cheap stuff since it's just getting drained out. Save the VR1 for after it's broken in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr