safe location to install heated O2 sensor in 87 tbi 305 with long tube headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharkey

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Location on header or if in the reducer 12 ,3 ,6 ,9 o'clock position? pics?
Thanks in advance.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
In the left collector or reducer works fine. I put mine to the inside, it just has to be installed at an angle so that it can't collect moisture in the sensor or the threads of the bung.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If you’ve already made the wiring adjustments, proceed, but people on here have said the heated sensor didn’t do any good so when I do mine I’m gonna try to keep the single wire sensor and see what happens. I’d be interested in a picture when you’ve got it installed.

Sharkey

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
In the left collector or reducer works fine. I put mine to the inside, it just has to be installed at an angle so that it can't collect moisture in the sensor or the threads of the bung.
Thank you good info

Sharkey

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
If you’ve already made the wiring adjustments, proceed, but people on here have said the heated sensor didn’t do any good so when I do mine I’m gonna try to keep the single wire sensor and see what happens. I’d be interested in a picture when you’ve got it installed.
I'v read that with long tube headers the exhaust cools down at idle and goes into open loop till the sensor warms back up, With a heated O2 it stays in closed loop for a better idle and better air/fuel mixture.Poss better fuel economy.I am a long way off from it running but when I get it installed I put up pics, If I can figure that out.
Gawd I look at what I did to a running square to do what I want. It's like the scare crow in the wizard of OZ.Pieces all over the place

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Heated sensors don't do ****. Installed mine...drank the kool - aid and nope...doesn't do a damn thing.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI

Or......imstall the sensor on the top portion of the header before the flang instead of an angle. There are several ways of installing them, but at an agle? Thats a new one for me. If mounted vertically, they wont collect moisture. Hell, slightly above horizontally would work too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Or......imstall the sensor on the top portion of the header before the flang instead of an angle. There are several ways of installing them, but at an agle? Thats a new one for me. If mounted vertically, they wont collect moisture. Hell, slightly above horizontally would work too.

That's what I meant, just have it oriented so that moisture can't collect. Due to different header designs, right on top is not always ideal.

And I know your sensor didn't change anything for your application, but mine made a bit of a difference. I got better driveability on cold starts in the winter time. Not a night and day type of difference, but I don't regret doing it.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
It's always hot here. Cold starts aren't much of an issue....lmao

Sharkey

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
OEM O2 is bad, needed a new one, so for 17 bucks I bought the harness.Single wire and 3 wire O2 same price.Headers are new so, What the heck. Kool aid or not I went with it,it made sense to me .SEPA gets cold in the winter time.
I have to check clearance on where to mount.I will mount it in reducer so I can get as close to vertical as I can.
Thanks for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito