Safe load for suburban stock rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
What is the suburban factory roof rack (and roof) rated for in terms of load bearing?
(I have an 87 suburban with the newer stock rack, I have seen the older (73-80?) version of the roof rack is a bit different.)

How about if not mounted to the rails, but I am planning to put some storage boxes up there, resting on the parallel bars directly on the roof. Is that a bad idea?

Probably 2 boxes about 50-70 lbs each. And also a small cooler, maybe 40 lbs. Ratchet strapped down. Looking into a custom roof rack/cage in the future that can hold more weight, but that's not in the budget right now...

Looking for more storage options, anybody have any success with those hitch mounted platforms? The ones I see always look wobbly and often times they are slanted, doesn't seem like a good idea to bear any significant weight based off a 2" square hole, but I have seen dirt bikes on those things before...

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I've been carrying 250-300 lbs. up there on a regular basis for a dozen years without any problems. Only issue is I make sure that nobody climbs up there to load, I do it all by standing on the rear tires and hoisting everything in. I started out just lashing everything to the factory rack but didn't like the soft-sided bags I carried riding on the paint so I used the factory rack as a base for an aftermarket basket. Didn't have to drill any new holes in the roof by using u-bolts to join the two.

The hitch carrier is homemade. It's all held together with linchpins so putting it on or removing is a two minute job without tools. It was a little wobbly until I added tie-downs on both ends that attach to small hoops bolted to the bottom of the bumper. It easily carries the same weight as the top basket.

You must be registered for see images attach

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Nice! This looks really good, and exactly what I need to do - I was concerned about drilling the roof for a new rack, and also don't like the rubbing that would result if putting loads directly on the roof. Did you remove the stock cross bars to fit that rack?
What basket/tray is that? I want a big one like that, that covers the length and width of the suburban roof rack. Is it steel or aluminum?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It's an aluminum rack of unknown manufacture. Got it for $100 from a guy that was parting out his burb and I think I'm the third or fourth owner of it. The basket has four cross bars as a base and they fit within the two crossbars of the factory rack. You might have noticed that your factory crossbars have a slight upward arch to them. This didn't interfere with mounting the basket, I just shoved it forward until the basket's forward crossbar was next to the factory crossbar. You can kind of see what I'm talking about in this pic.

If you're looking for a really stout basket, look for a Con-Ferr rack. Steel construction and built like a tank. You can spot a Con-Ferr by the round holes on the sides. Expect to pay a premium if you can find one.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Home made slide out carrier here. Some woble, but it is not going anywhere.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
^^Brilliant!^^

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Wow! Both those hitch carriers look pretty sweet.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I tried looking for a Con-Ferr rack, but looks like they haven't been made by the company in a while since they have since gone out of business. Even very slim pickings on craiglist too, and the people that have them, are going to be keeping them because it sounds like they'll outlast the vehicle!

I think if I can find a large wide basket like you have that was made for another application, I can make it work with my factory rails.

Anybody ever add more of those cross bars? I was thinking I'd just take some factory ones from a JY and slip them in for additional support.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The factory crossbars are made so they attach to the front and rear mounting feet. It would be tricky getting them attached to the rail between the feet.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Maybe I don't have a factory roof rack then, but mine can slide along a channel and can be positioned however you like up and down the length of the side bars:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Looks oem, just a little different from what I have. No problem adding to that style and I think it's a better design than what was offered in '89.

What holds your protective strips to the roof? Mine had some stupid failure prone clips and they kept falling off. Removed them completely when I had it painted.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I have to double check, but I believe they are screws that go through the roof.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I found a local fabrication guy that does roof racks, I think I'm going to go that route since I can't find any racks of that size anywhere (new or used). Going for about 8.5 feet I'm guessing, with a little overhang past where the factory rack reaches up to the front. Maybe some brackets for off-road lights while I'm at it, but I just don't want it to look weird with holes in the roof (and I don't want to drill into my roof, so maybe no lights). Although I do have a factory hole towards the rear of the roof, not sure what that was for...

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I take that back, Smittybilt makes one that can be that size, but it gets expensive, around 700 bucks. I'm hoping the quote I get on a custom made one from a small shop will be less than half that amount and be a better fit/look I'm going for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969