Saddle Tanks NOT near as dangerous as publicized !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck13

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I remember when the National Bullsh!t Corporation/Dateline program aired.I
learned then what a lot of people have learned recently-you CANNOT trust
the MSM for honest information.
A friend of mine operated a wrecking yard back then.Squares of every
description,front impact side impact rear impact rollovers,everything
possible accident and not ONE of them burnt from a side impact.GM
has,and still does,make some really crappy designs.But the C series
gas tank location is pretty far down that list.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I remember it as well.

I was an engineer for the squarebody trucks at the time.

My dad worked at Chevrolet Flint Manufacturing - Pressed Metal Division and made radiator supports, fenders, air cleaner housings, and fuel tanks.

K

Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Being in the towing industry during that period I saw a bunch of accidents. It's uncommon for any vehicle to catch fire. Think people believe what they see in the movies. Never saw a Pinto burned up either.

Had several square body trucks at one point. There was some sort of class action lawsuit on the fuel tanks, we received a coupon for a small discount on a new truck for each unit. I think the government sued GM again and lost so the coupons were worthless.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Had several square body trucks at one point. There was some sort of class action lawsuit on the fuel tanks, we received a coupon for a small discount on a new truck for each unit. I think the government sued GM again and lost so the coupons were worthless.
I might be one of the few forum members that reaped the benefit of said coupon. Here's the story:

Back in February 2002 I was driving my only running square, 1985 9 passenger Suburban that I got to haul scouts and gear for scouts. Since I was not the Scoutmaster any longer, just a leader I didn't need the Sub. and it was tired.

Went shopping for a new ride, new GMC 2002 short bed, plain jane pickup. Worked a deal to trade the Sub. in for more than I paid for it. Friend at work asked if I had the exploding fuel tank waiver? What? I said.

Previously I had bought an '81 pickup for parts. Non running I pulled the cab to use on my 1974 and made a trailer out of the back half. He said you may have the waiver, it was in the mail in an envelope marked GM that was half black, and half white. Sure enough with the receipts saved for 2001 there, unopened was the waiver for $1000. The waiver was only for long bed pickups and it was for the 1981 pickup.

The dealer was not happy rewriting the sale receipt, but I know I got it's full value because I had already worked my best deal, with quotes, from 3 different dealers.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think the coupons we got were for $500. May be commercial was different can't remember for sure. It also had a time limit of some sort but whatever it was we got nothing. At that time, we likely had 4-5 SB 1 tons.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The coupon did have a time limit, one year. Luckily I met that time limit by a few months.

Gguy1

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
292. 4.8
I know a guy that lost both his legs getting run over by his own truck.
Back to saddle tanks, I still unsure how to proceed on that; LMC has a rear mount aluminum tank that’s a possibility, I do nor recommend the steel tank that mounts where spare tire goes, I bought it, seems well enough made but doesn’t really fit right filler is in way of floor, straps don’t really work either, I’m just using it until I finish passenger side cab reconstruction.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know a guy that lost both his legs getting run over by his own truck.
Back to saddle tanks, I still unsure how to proceed on that; LMC has a rear mount aluminum tank that’s a possibility, I do nor recommend the steel tank that mounts where spare tire goes, I bought it, seems well enough made but doesn’t really fit right filler is in way of floor, straps don’t really work either, I’m just using it until I finish passenger side cab reconstruction.
Ummm....ok

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think the coupons we got were for $500. May be commercial was different can't remember for sure. It also had a time limit of some sort but whatever it was we got nothing. At that time, we likely had 4-5 SB 1 tons.
That coupon was for $1000 towards the purchase of a new GM Truck. I tried to use my Granddad's but it wouldn't work because I would have had to show his title with my name being on it which is wasn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota