1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryobi 1/2" impact

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by thecantaloupeman, Jan 13, 2020.

1. thecantaloupeman

thecantaloupeman Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Silverado Camper Special
    Engine Size:
    So I'm in the market for a good impact. Both ryobi and ridgid have a promo for a free tool with the purchase of a 2 battery and charger kit. The ridgid is 169$ and makes 620 ft/lbs torque in reverse.

The ryobi is 99$ however and only makes 300ft/lbs max torque. I really like the ryobi platform because their batteries are cheap and they don't change the connectors. Meaning I will never have to buy a new tool because they either don't make batteries anymore or because they are too expensive.

I also have a ryobi drill and weedeater with batteries. I wanted to have interchangeable batteries to save space in order to not have two chargers and extra batteries to put in my toolbox, but I'm just not sure 300ft/lbs max torque will cut it for working on my truck. I plan to mostly use it at the junkyard for taking off really rusted on bolts. Do you think the ryobi will cut it or is it a better idea to get the ridgid?

2. 78C10BigTen

78C10BigTen Full Access Member

First Name:
    Ted
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10 BIG TEN
    Engine Size:
    Not so sure thatll cut it. My kobalt is something like 600 ft/lbs and ive found a few things it wont budge.

3. legopnuematic

legopnuematic Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Spencer
    Truck Year:
    1974, 1976, 1979, 1985
    Truck Model:
    Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10
    Engine Size:
    350 c.i., 350 c.i.
    Never have to worry about batteries with one of these:
    [​IMG]
    With that said I have an ancient Craftsman 1/2 corded electric gun that is pretty tired and is more of a novelty at this point:
    [​IMG]
    So I got one of these:[​IMG]
    Which is an excellent gun, but a little large and overkill for most of what I do (but should be very handy on steering and suspension stuff)
    So I also got one of these:
    [​IMG]
    This thing kicks ass and takes names, small and compact for the small stuff, but still will take lug nuts off like no ones business. Sheared a 1/2 dia bolt with it.

Not sure if this helps with anything but :33:

Arkansas_V8 and 78C10BigTen like this.
  4. Tjm1534

Tjm1534 Junior Member

First Name:
    Tony
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    I have the ryobi,it’s been good for 3 years but weak,I would spring for the HF earthquake xt. Lots of good reviews and very powerful.

80BrownK10 and Arkansas_V8 like this.
  5. hunters628

hunters628 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Hunter
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    I have the Milwaukee 1/2 beast mentioned above. Worth every penny. I’m going to be buying the 3/8 impact above too for smaller stuff. I’ve only run across a few things my 1/2 gun won’t break but for the most part you’re good. It’s rated for 1400ft/lbs, hard to find anything that tight.

78C10BigTen likes this.
  6. thecantaloupeman

thecantaloupeman Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dawson
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20 Silverado Camper Special
    Engine Size:
    I like the idea of the Milwaukee a lot but it’s the investing in their tool line part that gets me. It
    Okay so I purchased the ryobi. I could've got the ridgid for 70$ more but I figured 620 ft/lbs won't do a whole lot more than 300. If I come across something the ryobi can't break I doubt the ridgid would either. If anything won't come loose it probably needs either the high torque milwaukee or dewalt or a pnuematic. I am a huge fan of ryobi tools and they have a great variety at great prices. Used stuff is easy to find too. I bought my drill for 5$ and a charger for 3$ at a thrift store. My local pawn shop also has a ryobi sawzall for 20$. I don't make a living off my tools and don't beat them to death so for me ryobi most of the time does the job.

If my ryobi doesn't cut it at any point I can just buy a milwaukee or dewalt impact and continue to use ryobi stuff. I got the impact free with a battery kit that had 2 3ah Lithium+hp batteries and a portable charger. So either way I got some nice batteries and a charger for my drill and whatever other ryobi tools I get in the future.

7. shiftpro

shiftpro Full Access Member

First Name:
    shiftpro
    Truck Year:
    73-87
    Truck Model:
    1500, 2500, 3500
    Engine Size:
    350, 383, 454, 496!
    My ass is rated for 1500ft/lbs.

curbstone mech likes this.
  8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Full Access Member

First Name:
    Darien
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    I have a Ryobi impact and it's been great for what it is. I've beat on my mine for a couple years now and it's held up great. It does have some stuff it can't take off, but it's not real common.

9. RoryH19

RoryH19 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Rory
    Truck Year:
    1987, 1982, 1983
    Truck Model:
    R10 Silverado SWB, K5 Silverado Blazer, K5 Silverado Blazer
    Engine Size:
    350 TBI, LS Swap 6.0, 350 carb
    I've had a craftsman 1/2 impact for several years.
    No complaints. Also have their other tools and can swap batteries between them.

10. bedwards

bedwards Full Access Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 Silverado
    Engine Size:
    I just recently got the Ryobi. I've only used it a couple times but it sure made short work of rotating tires on my wife's truck and replacing the hub on my son's 4wheel drive. It seems faster and easier than my air wrench.

11. Rickf

Rickf Full Access Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Truck Year:
    1974, 1954 & a 1937
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    I've used a 1/2" ryobi impact for a few years has not failed me yet. I also use a torque wrench on lug nuts, just in case.
    :cheers:

12. curbstone mech

curbstone mech Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    allen
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k20
    Engine Size:
    Like you, I didn't want to buy another charger and diff batteries. I already had Dewalt 18 volt stuff. I got a 1/2 in Dewalt impact. It doesn't break everything loose, but if I try to run the nut forward for a second, then in reverse it does ok most times. But as Leg mentioned, I carry a 1" breaker bar, adapters and SiliKroil to the junkyard. Always worked so far. Now, after all these years, the Dewalt 18 volt batteries are going bad .I saw an adapter on Ebay for 18 volt to 20 volt batteries. Maybe the same thing is available for the other brands

13. tobiahr

tobiahr Junior Member

First Name:
    Tobiah
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Blazer 2wd
    Engine Size:
    L59 5.3 swap
    I have the Dewalt for the same reason as curbstone, i didn't want multiple chargers/batteries. IMHO you should spring for the largest version of impact that your battery platform will support. There is a huge difference between the 300+ ftlbs i get with my heavy DW059B compared to the 145ftlbs i got with the smaller DC820B