Rusted A pillar fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quan Nguyen

Reaction score
First Name
Quan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
How would y’all recommend me fixing this the correct way
You must be registered for see images attach

Water also gets into the cab Via Cowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Welcome to the site Q.
Looking at your photo, the blue sticker... bottom left corner is pointing to a rivet. Remove wind shield and carefully drill out the two rivets holding down that little tag. Very carefully remove that tag and keep it in a safe place along with your regi papers. You will need these for your new cab.

If you're an experienced body man/metal worker you could cut this rusted pillar completely out and graft in another from a 'parts' cab. Lots of cabs
with the floor rotted out but roof and pillars are fine.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not sure of TX, but some states will not consider a drilled/re-riveted VIN tag to be legit. To stay legit (in the event you choose to replace the entire cab) you need to cut the metal around the VIN tag and graft it into the new cab without molesting the rivets.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Pretty much need to strip the whole cab and start slowly doing the repairs. Just fixing that spot would not be a complete repair. Other options would be a cab swap. Or to just keep driving with not that much water coming in, seal it with caulk etc and keep driving.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Not sure of TX, but some states will not consider a drilled/re-riveted VIN tag to be legit. To stay legit (in the event you choose to replace the entire cab) you need to cut the metal around the VIN tag and graft it into the new cab without molesting the rivets.
Yes this is better advice... I keep forgetting I'm in BC Canada and this issue is pretty low key.
You can find rosette rivets online btw.

Quan Nguyen

Reaction score
First Name
Quan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
Have you seen anyone done this before ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Uhm, that's pretty much the same thing as changing the vin by drilling the rivets, except a bigger pain.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's right. So I would NOT drill out the rivets. I have carefully removed one without damaging the rivets. Oversized the holes on the donor cab just a **** hair and was able to get those rivets back in the holes. I did also use glueon the backsides of the rivets on the reinstall to keep the tag tight and quiet to where the rivets couldn't spin. Looked totally legit even without the dashpad on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey