Runs like a washing machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Looked at a 83 k5 today he wants to trade for a truck I have with a bad transmission, it runs but rocks like a washing machine, I had him cut it off so quick I was afraid it was going to fly apart. After I got home I was thinking could it be a motor mount. We made a deal but won’t pick it up till next weekend, I have to tow mine to his house and tow his back to mine. Please help me diagnose this it would be awesome if that’s all it is, I’m trading him a long bed for his short box. We will see live and learn.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Should I say an washing machine that has lost a weight (out of balanced) never seen anything like it, hope he don’t blow it up before I can figure out what’s going on with it.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Check that the plug wires are on in the right order.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Good idea I’m hoping it’s something as simple as that, the shop that was working on it told him he needed a new engine, we will see thanks for your input

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Always start simple. I spent a week once chasing a miss in an engine because I took for granted the last shop to touch it wasn't populated with a bunch of paste eating fucktards. Turned out, that they broke the tip off of the #5 plug, but pushed the wire boot on anyway.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Always start simple. I spent a week once chasing a miss in an engine because I took for granted the last shop to touch it wasn't populated with a bunch of paste eating fucktards. Turned out, that they broke the tip off of the #5 plug, but pushed the wire boot on anyway.
I did the same sort of thing, couldnt find the miss. I even when as far as holding the pedal to the floor and bouncing it off the rev limiter cus i was so pissed. Later found out it was a bad spark plug. Still got near 350k outta that motor too.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wow I should have video taped the running of the engine but it wasn’t a pretty sight, it’s kind of fun figuring out what’s wrong with this kind of stuff, thanks again

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Didn’t have time to check while it was running but after we cut it off, it was some fluid on the stick afterward, Thanks Rusty should be able to tell more this weekend if the deal goes through

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Transmission fluid looks good, it has all new belts, I think some of the noise is coming from them, I’ll try a little soap on them. Just brought it home swapped it for my long bed with a bad transmission. I have checked the spark plug wires they are on the right spot. I let it idle a little while and it seemed to sound a little better. I’ll go out and tinker a little more in a bit, someone has had the engine out the wiring harness that is supposed to be behind the distributor is in front of the carb a lot of rubber hose covering wires etc. time will tell

You must be registered for see images attach

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here’s a cheap trick you might try. Fill a spray bottle with water and find a dimly lit place or wait till it’s almost dark but can still see. Start it up and spray the plug wires real good. If any are broken or burnt anywhere along their length, the moisture will create a light show that will pinpoint where that may be. Do this around the coil as well. Just a quick way to eliminate misfires that can’t be seen most of the time.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks Joe, I believe the motor has spun a rod bearing. I have gone through all other possibilities, that’s why it’s rocking too much friction.
I was under the truck checking the possibilities found what might be a heavy duty transmission with two braces running from the front of the transmission to the motor mounts and the dust cover is cast aluminum not tin, anyone help it’s got a rectangle shape pan like a TH700 I think I could be wrong, I’m getting old just went through this on another post here somewhere

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Was hoping it was something a little more simpler and cheaper.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yea me too, oh we’ll win some lose some, might find someone that wants to buy the truck and fix it

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The transmission is a K case with the heavy duty case that was discussed in the identifying the 700 r transmissions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr