Ruined valvetrain on a 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
I adjusted my valves on my 350 TBI the other day, set it to #1 TDC and tightened the specific valves down according to the Haynes repair manual and rotated it 180 and did the other set. I tightened until i felt a drag when rolling the push rod between my fingers and then tightened an additional 1/2 turn. Engine runs smooth, no odd noises coming from engine except it shakes bad at idle and the exhaust has a bad ticking, but oddly I can't hear it from the valvetrain itself. Did I tighten them too much? Can I loosen them and be ok?

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I have always wet set them. I did it proper once, didn't wanna idle and was a pain to start. Wet set them and never had a problem again. Been doing them that way since then.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If you have any collapsing lifters that won’t stay pumped up, you can set too much preload. Setting them with the engine running may keep them pumped up, but not for sure.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
I'm gonna try setting them with the engine running, it looks much easier and better to spot an issue. I read somewhere else that the exhaust tick was tightening them down too much so maybe i'll go only 1/4 at a time

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you set them with the engine off, instead of spinning them you should pull the pushrod up and down to check for clearance. Spinning it makes it hard to estimate, especially when they have a good coating of oil. Pulling the pushrod up and down gives a better estimate of zero clearance.

Bruce

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Too tight. As mentioned above, should be adjusted with up/down play when engine is off. When running, loosen untill rattle, go back to just where rattle stops and then add preload.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'm gonna try setting them with the engine running, it looks much easier and better to spot an issue. I read somewhere else that the exhaust tick was tightening them down too much so maybe i'll go only 1/4 at a time

Get ready to get oily! They do make little clips that go onto the rockers that keep oil from spraying everywhere.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
I had quite the oily experience I figured I was gonna have, but I fixed it! I backed them off until a clatter, tightened them until it went away and then set preload. Runs like brand new! Smooth and quiet. Thanks everyone!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I had quite the oily experience I figured I was gonna have, but I fixed it! I backed them off until a clatter, tightened them until it went away and then set preload. Runs like brand new! Smooth and quiet. Thanks everyone!

Awesome! Tougher to screw one up than thought, huh ?

:)

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
When installing a new flat tappet cam, it helps to set them dry, not pumped up. Then the cam gets a reduced load upon start up. But setting them dry takes a very light and steady hand but can be done with great results.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
When installing a new flat tappet cam, it helps to set them dry, not pumped up. Then the cam gets a reduced load upon start up. But setting them dry takes a very light and steady hand but can be done with great results.
Good info to know if I ever build an engine for it someday, thanks!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Your prize for a job well done!

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tetz73