Rough Country 6inch lift dumb question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Branktm

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Hey guys, just got my frame back from the powder coaters, and my rear end is "curing" for the 48 hours of Eastwood Encapsulater. So since I finally got my 6inch Rough Country all spring lift in last week, i decided to start putting everything back together. I literally have the frame on a few stools in my garage. It stable. So i went to put my rear springs in, and when i mounted it to the shackle the shackle was moved all the way forward to where the bolt hits the shackle assembly? probably wrong word. So basically besides the shackle being in a 12 o clock position, its between 2-3 o clock. So i thought maybe my springs are wrong. I measured my stock springs they are 52 inches eye to eye, then i measured my lift springs and they are like 48-49 inches. I check my order, i ordered 52s, and the sticker on spring is 52.

Did i get the wrong springs? Or do these springs really compress 4 inches, and because i have zero weight on it, it seems off. If thats true, how the heck am i going to get this thing to compress when its a frame off build?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Hard to exactly envision what you are saying... but I think it is just because the springs are hanging and there is no weight on them.

If you put a jack under the center of the leaf spring pack and nicely start lifting (putting some pressure on them) I bet the shackle will start looking "normal".

But with a bare frame you don't really have any weight to lift.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I did a 6" Skyjacker spring on the rear of my K5 years ago and I recall it doing the same thing. When I lowered the truck to the ground I believe it went back to the 12 O'clock position. You can snug the shackle & spring bolts for now, but until the truck is under it full weight, you don't want to fully tighten them. It will put the bushings in a bind and cause the truck to ride rougher than it should.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adriank