Reverse Light Switch wont engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
This isnt for a Square but knowing GM i'm willing to bet the columns are similar if not the same. Its for the fire company's 1977 P30 Step Van

You must be registered for see images attach

The neutral safety switch / reverse light switch doesnt engage when its bolted down. Below is the picture of the switch (which is brand new and working otherwise)

Is there supposed to be something between the center protrusion and the recess in the column? I can see where it should go, I can line it up, but that nipple in the middle doesn't reach the opening on the column.

The picture below is the closest match to the column I can find. Didnt get a chance to snap actual pics since it got dark and the bays were full.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This isnt for a Square but knowing GM i'm willing to bet the columns are similar if not the same. Its for the fire company's 1977 P30 Step Van

The neutral safety switch / reverse light switch doesnt engage when its bolted down. Below is the picture of the switch (which is brand new and working otherwise)

Is there supposed to be something between the center protrusion and the recess in the column? I can see where it should go, I can line it up, but that nipple in the middle doesn't reach the opening on the column.

The picture below is the closest match to the column I can find. Didnt get a chance to snap actual pics since it got dark and the bays were full.

Is the reason that the tab (on the switch set) can't reach and engage the slot in the column jacket, due to the ID of the switch housing being smaller than the OD of the jacket?

If that is the case, I think that you might have the wrong switch. If you still have the old switch maybe you could do a side-by-side comparison.

BTW, on a side note, the 1977 service manual shows the NSS/BU Lighting switch - for the P model - as being mounted on the transmission:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Is the reason that the tab (on the switch set) can't reach and engage the slot in the column jacket, due to the ID of the switch housing being smaller than the OD of the jacket?

If that is the case, I think that you might have the wrong switch. If you still have the old switch maybe you could do a side-by-side comparison.

BTW, on a side note, the 1977 service manual shows the NSS/BU Lighting switch - for the P model - as being mounted on the transmission:

Thanks for the diagrams. The tab is not long enough to reach the opening in the column jacket so i think you may be right in that I have the wrong switch. I'll have to look through the parts closet for the old switch but I can almost be certain that its gone. I'll pull it and head to Napa and see if they match up something a little better.

One thing I noticed from the diagrams is that I dont think I have the 0.96" gauge pin but I dont think that would make a difference. I'm gonna check it out again this weekend and report back. At least I have a little better idea now. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike