Replacing fuel lines 5.7 L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Shackleford

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
5.7 L
1988 R20 5.7 liter. I have noticed a gas leak from what I think is the return line from the TBI. It leaks when the engine is running. I think the leak is coming from where the hard steel line mates with the braided steel line. I thought I would replace both lines while I'm at it. Its hard to see the actual leak as the lines go between the engine and the firewall. There appears to be a bracket that holds the two lines together but can't tell for sure if the bracket bolts somewhere or just hold the lines together. I was thinking of unhooking the lines from both ends and pulling them up (rather than down) There is a fat wiring loom and the transmission dipstick tube in the vicinity. Anyone done this? Any opinions on replacing with etnanol resistant rubber line of the proper pressure capacity? Thanks in advance.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I replaced all of the fuel lines on 88 suburban using stock parts from a parts suburban. Was not that bad. Disconnect lines, bracket and pull them. But I don't remember if went up or down with them.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
As for comple replacement with new, a local hose and gasket place should be able to fix the flex portion of the line with new hose. Or adapters and ptfe lined hose with an fittings, or as above mentioned adapters and hose

Rusty Shackleford

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
5.7 L
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked with a large, local auto supply - no luck for replacements. Dealer - discontinued. I will try a hose company that may be able to make some for me. I'll investigate rubber hose.

Rusty Shackleford

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
5.7 L
Upon further investigation, I can see the bracket that holds the lines and bolts into the engine. It's about 4 inches down behind the engine. There's not enough room to get a wrench on the nut. BUT, if I can get the transmission dipstick tube out, I should be able to get a wrench on the nut (probably from below). I've never removed a dipstick tube before. It looks like it presses into the transmission. Any suggestions/tips on how to get the tube out? Thanks.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Tube is bolted to bellhousing and then just comes out the seal area on trans. I did not have to take the transmission dipstick tube out when doing the fuel lines, but don't remember exact details

Rusty Shackleford

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
5.7 L
Found replacement lines from a site called Linestogo.com. They have thousands of applications for all makes of vehicles. The lines I received looked the same as the originals. Delivered to my door in 4 days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sriddle36