Replacing footwell / kick panels (sheet metal)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hahanoob

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My kick panels are completely rusted out due to some shoddy floor pan replacement that happened in past. I ordered a replacement panel but to get it in it seems like I need access to the back. And to do that I need to remove this cowl piece. Problem is I’m not convinced I can get it off without completing destroying it. The spot welds are at some weird angles that would be hard to drill out. Alternatively, can I buy a replacement? Not even sure what it’s called so I haven’t been able to search around. Anyone done this before or have any thoughts / advice it’d be much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 15B5D7AE-89BE-4E3D-82B9-8E57B024234D.jpeg
    15B5D7AE-89BE-4E3D-82B9-8E57B024234D.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 104

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I did the driver's side kick panel on my 78 without having to remove the cowl piece. Just drill out those 20 or so spot welds in the rib to the inner fender mount. I used a 90 degree drill. The floor pan needs to be out, but it looks like you did that. You can then cut the kick panel and work it out from between the rocker panel and mount. Problem I had was going back together. I thought the body mounts, fire wall, and back wall would keep it in line. I just welded a brace between the door jambs to keep the door opening correct and started cutting. I was very wrong. The cab and floor sag a LOT when the outer and inner rocker and the kick panel are missing. I had to use floor jacks on the front and back of the cab to raise it back up to get the rockers back in. Then I got the floor pan about 1/4" to high on the kick panel and the Silverado molding didn't want to go back in. I suggest taking a bunch of measurements and try to stiffen the cab up before taking out the kick panel

hahanoob

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice! I’ll take another look at the inside and see what I can do without removing that cowl.

Hopefully I can double check some of those measurements from passenger side because the driver side was so rotted (what’s left of the kick panel isn’t even touching the cab support) I doubt it was holding anything together properly even before I started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes