Replacing bleeder valves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88SUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5L NA V8 overhead valves (OHV) 16V
You must be registered for see images attach
This is more of a "WTF?"
I've been having issue with squishy brakes.replaced leaking master cylinder.went to bleed brakes as usual but they're not bleeding properly.
Rear driver no matter how much bleeding, still lots air. Rear passenger, straight fluid.
Rear are drum.
As for the front (disc) it's the opposite.
Driver straight fluid, passenger getting lots of air.
So I thought that maybe my bleeder valves were just old and corroded. Autozone sold me what size they should be and here's where things got weird. May e this is normal?
Front bleeder valves are 2 different sizes?!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Fronts are the same size normally- mis packaged would be my guess.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If you have too much travel on the rear brake shoes, it can be hard to get the brakes bled. Apply the parking brake to remove the extra shoe travel, then bleed the brakes.

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I always gravity bleed the brake system first. Them I bleed each line in order.

88SUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Fronts are the same size normally- mis packaged would be my guess.
Well no it's a completely different size altogether You can see the different sizes that I've got there one size was for the front one size was for the rear and the front I put that larger one on on the driver's side which would mean that the passenger side would get the same size and it's not it almost fit the smaller one but it was like the thread was different.

88SUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I always gravity bleed the brake system first. Them I bleed each line in order.
I pretty much did gravity bleed because I had the bleeders off and I went through a lot of fluid just letting it gravity bleed. There must be air getting somewhere but it's just too weird that it's opposite sides front and back that are doing it.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well no it's a completely different size altogether You can see the different sizes that I've got there one size was for the front one size was for the rear and the front I put that larger one on on the driver's side which would mean that the passenger side would get the same size and it's not it almost fit the smaller one but it was like the thread was different.

Oh, well the fronts normally are larger - maybe someone put "what they had" on last time.

88SUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Oh, well the fronts normally are larger - maybe someone put "what they had" on last time.
It's almost like the calipers are different. I mean if they have different size bleeder screws that's just weird, but yeah they could be two different brands or something, I don't know. Maybe I should just buy me some new calipers. They aren't that expensive.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Your calipers have probably been remanufactured at some point. If the bleeder threads are even slightly damaged, the rebuilder taps to an oversize. I've come across this multiple times on the more common calipers. Some of these calipers have been in circulation 45 years or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84