Replacement outer rocker fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have got both rockers welded into place on the 77 resto project. I also replaced the rocker inners, which are actually just part of the original floor stamping. Also replaced the cab supports, floor supports, inner kick panels & floor sections. I took the cab off the rotisserie so I could temp install the doors. This way I could insure a nice alignment between the rocker and door (bottom). I am noticing 2 things with these replacement parts.

First, they seem to be tucked under the door further than the original ones. Yes, they are straight and fairly consistent. But the original rockers had the appearance of being a continuous extension of the door outer in terms of surface. I need to snap a picture with the door shut to show this more clearly, but here is an enlarged pic from the 511 mile truck that is for sale -

You must be registered for see images attach

Notice how the surface of the door flows down and around and the rocker appears to be an extension of that surface. The replacement rockers are tucked in about half and inch. So the surface does not appear continuous. Have you experienced this?

Second, the door weather strip flange appears to be a bit too far inward. Below is a pic where I temp installed the weatherstrip. When I close the door it barely compresses the seal. Almost seems like I need to tap the flange outward just a bit to get the seal closer to the door. Thoughts?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The inner rocker/floor could have maybe used some outward adjustment to get the outer rockers where you want them to be. But a lot of original trucks I've seen have had the rocker tucked under the door a little.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Any chance you could show a pic of the fitment issue? I'm having trouble picturing it.
If the rocker fits up with the fender and the cab corner, then it sounds like a door issue to me.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here are a few pics. It's not ending up as poorly as I was originally expecting. I did give some thought to the fitment of the outer rocker. But really there is little leeway with inboard/outboard fitment because the stamping lines right up with the A & B-pillars.

With respect to the lower area of the door weather strip fitment, I have the ability to take a direct comparison measurement between the cab I am restoring vs the original (they are sitting side-by-side in the shop). The distance between the weather strip flange (on the outer rocker) is identical between the 2 cabs. So I am thinking that's just how poorly the lower area fits & compresses the seal.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So, silly questions, are you going to use the driver's door with the dents in it or replace it? Did you brace the cab doing rockers and floor? It looks like the dr. side has a bigger gap in the rear to the rocker and passenger side has bigger gap in the front to the rocker. It may be just the pictures. Have you looked at the underside of the door where it meets the door seal to see if its pushed in a little?

You are doing great work for sure. Keep it up.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, the cab was well braced based on the way I fabricated the attachment points for the rotisserie. There is no way the pillars moved during the rocker removal/replacement. And just for added measure, I was continually comparing measurements from the other cab to this one. They match within 1/16 inch across all of the points I compared.

Yes, I am going to use these doors. Not too worried about the dents. They have not been metal worked yet. Some time with the hammer & dolly will solve most of the dents. They are the original doors for this cab and are shockingly rust free.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I think it is important to remember that these trucks (and everything in the mfg world) is built to a tolerance, so from year to year and plant to plant and worker to worker things aren't going to be 100% consistent between two trucks. Add in that these companies making replacement parts are also working to tolerances to there is the chance if you are unlucky to have a truck that is at the minimum tolerance and a replacement part at the maximum tolerance, which might make things not fit quite right. With that said, your rocker fit looks pretty good.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It all looks like normal gaps to me. Could it be improved? Sure. But GM didn't go to that much trouble so there's no reason for you to go for precision unless you simply want to.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
You want to keep all the inconsistencies consistent.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Trust me folks, I'm not ragging on his work and the gaps. I know our trucks were no where near perfect or close to what manufacturers do with todays gaps. I was really just curious. Having the original doors is a huge benefit.

He's doing excellent work for sure and it will show when paint is applied.