Replace thermostat without draining fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So I just finished my coolant flush and silly old me forgot to put the thermostat back in before filling it to the to with new coolant. Can I put a glove around the upper radiator hose to plug the fluid so I can replace the t-stat without draining the fluid below the housing? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBarre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250c.i./4.1L
Just get a clean bucket and reuse the coolant you drain out. It probably won't even be a whole gallon!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I'm no genius, and I may be doing it wrong, no sarcasm intended, but I've changed a thermostat with it full of coolant....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
You'll lose a little coolant, but the whole thing isn't gonna empty out like if you took the lower radiator hose off or something

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
Just undo the bolts to the housing with the hose still on and have it point vertically while you change it, should be a small mess but nothing more than a quart or two at most.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Buy a pair of hose pinch pliers and squeeze the hose in front of the housing before removal

You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Or undo it and fold it back. But if you have a set of pinch pliars like that you can do that or use two pieces of wood and regular vice grips to pinch it off.

Or like said just drain a half gallon or so into a clean bucket and pour it back in.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Drain a little coolant, then swap the T-stat. When your ready to pour the coolant back in run it thru a paint or coffee filter to catch any crud that may have fallen into the catch pan.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
Drain a little coolant, then swap the T-stat. When your ready to pour the coolant back in run it thru a paint or coffee filter to catch any crud that may have fallen into the catch pan.
Cheese cloth works well also for filtering coolant. Use anti-sieze on your housing bolt threads.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Liquid flows from high to low. Any fluid above the level of the t-stat housing will push out the fluid below it. If you hold the upper hose vertical with fluid in it, it will push up thru the block and out the manifold. Just drain enough fluid out the petcock to lower the level in the system to the stat housing and pour it back in when you're done.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Liquid flows from high to low. Any fluid above the level of the t-stat housing will push out the fluid below it. If you hold the upper hose vertical with fluid in it, it will push up thru the block and out the manifold. Just drain enough fluid out the petcock to lower the level in the system to the stat housing and pour it back in when you're done.
Okay I replaced that thermostat and It leaks a bit. I misaligned the gasket, but I wanted to know is there a right and wrong direction to put the thermostat? One side was flat with darker blue stripes, and the other had a bevel and was just plain blue.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
Okay I replaced that thermostat and It leaks a bit. I misaligned the gasket, but I wanted to know is there a right and wrong direction to put the thermostat? One side was flat with darker blue stripes, and the other had a bevel and was just plain blue.

Are you talking about the gasket?.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre

The gasket shouldn't matter, both sides are the same.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Yes sorry I was talking about the gasket.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
The gasket doesn't matter which side is up because it's a basic shape, it's the same either way.

The important part is making sure the bolts are tight enough (but not too tight where you blow the gasket out), and you also want to make sure the surface where the gasket seals is clean before you put the new gasket on. If there's remnants of the old gasket left behind or just crusty crud that gets on/under the gasket it will not seal well. A gasket needs to be evenly pressed between two flat metal surfaces. If you have to go in there with a razor blade or paint scraper to get the old gasket off, that's what you gotta do (especially if the guy before you put silicone or something on there). You need to completely remove the old gasket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmattly