replace or fab up brake hard line?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneck Poet

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Went to change out the flexible brake line on the passenger side of my 78 and the hard inside the frame rail twisted in two (way too easy). So now I gotta replace the hard line from the proportioning valve to the frame rail. I can't find a pre-bent replacement without buying and entire kit so I guess I'll have to make one. It appears to be 3/16 line but don't know the thread size of the fitting on each end. Anyone know what those are? Gotta find someone that sells the line too. Thanks

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Went to change out the flexible brake line on the passenger side of my 78 and the hard inside the frame rail twisted in two (way too easy). So now I gotta replace the hard line from the proportioning valve to the frame rail. I can't find a pre-bent replacement without buying and entire kit so I guess I'll have to make one. It appears to be 3/16 line but don't know the thread size of the fitting on each end. Anyone know what those are? Gotta find someone that sells the line too. Thanks
If your line was rusty and weak you may like yourself for doing them. also, you may have debris and rust INSIDE the line from old nasty fluid

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes, 3/16" inverted flare tubing. The thread is 3/8-24 on every part except the master cylinder. You can buy copper-nickel alloy that is easy to form to shape. A tubing bender will make nice tight bends but not always needed.

You need a flaring tool unless you buy pre-flared, pre-cut to length line. Practice making flares first and don't forget to put the nut on the tube before making the flare.

The copper-nickel or stainless is more money than steel tube. That is why you don't see it on factory lines.

You must be registered for see images attach

Redneck Poet

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks guys! I'll round up a line somewhere and replace it. You make a great point for replacing them all. This one was weak and broke too easy. Probably all of them are in the same shape.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I recommend Nicopp, bend by hand. Save yourself the frustration.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm a weirdo that prefers the coated steel line and not the NiCop line. I just feel that the NiCop line is too "flimsy" and easily damaged. Or maybe I'm just a glutten for punishment with all the bending and flaring.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I recommend Nicopp, bend by hand. Save yourself the frustration.

I'm a weirdo that prefers the coated steel line and not the NiCop line. I just feel that the NiCop line is too "flimsy" and easily damaged. Or maybe I'm just a glutten for punishment with all the bending and flaring.
I agree, I prefer the coated steel, but I think for me at least because I've been doing this for a long time, that use to be the only choice and it is what I'm use to using and I trust the lines. With that said we did a full set of brake lines on a 66 Barracuda a few years ago and the customer insisted on NiCop lines, because he felt that if he wanted to make changes later it would easier for him. The lines certainly were easier to work with. For that reason for someone that has never "rolled his own" I'd probably suggest it, just because it is easy to get the job done. But for me I'll stick with what I'm use to.