Removing cab from frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Has anyone here ever lifted the cab by the floor? I saw some guy do it with an old Dodge but it had hooks in the floor (?) to do it with. Was wondering if anyone here ever used a couple straps wrapped around the bottom and lifted it with a cherry picker thataway.

I would think it would be easier than lifting from the inside roof - I've done it that way but the boom gets in the way or maxxed out in height too early. Course, with no glass in it, might be able to frame up something out the front and back too. Dunno.

Its sitting on a dolly at the moment. Just trying to figure a way to do this after paint.

Thx.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Check out the setup at 2:29 and 5:40
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The two outside seat belt mounts, and a third strap to go through the shifter hole or tranny hump (if removed) with a 'T' bar underneath. But
with an 2wd and automatic you don't get the hole in the floor. So why not drill a 3/8" hole as far forward on the hump as you can? Put a big washer
under the floor tin and some kind of 'eye' or 'ear' on top to hook onto. As long as you have the room to slide the hoist and cab sideways this is the best way. In the vid they had it slung up way too high and didn't have enough lift.

Nice to hear of your progress!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check out the setup at 2:29 and 5:40
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GREAT vid! There's something so sexy about a chick getting involved with a truck build. Having flashbacks to Joanne Liebler hanging drywall on Hometime.

You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The two outside seat belt mounts, and a third strap to go through the shifter hole or tranny hump (if removed) with a 'T' bar underneath. But
with an 2wd and automatic you don't get the hole in the floor. So why not drill a 3/8" hole as far forward on the hump as you can? Put a big washer
under the floor tin and some kind of 'eye' or 'ear' on top to hook onto. As long as you have the room to slide the hoist and cab sideways this is the best way. In the vid they had it slung up way too high and didn't have enough lift.

Nice to hear of your progress!

Mine's 4wd - got the hole. Good idea about the 3/8 hole - I've got plenty of eye hooks from pulling motors. I would have hung those straps alot lower - almost touching the floor.....give alot more room to lift. It will either not have axles on it, or at least no wheels when the cab and bed go back on.....trying to keep it as low as possible.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Mine's 4wd - got the hole. Good idea about the 3/8 hole - I've got plenty of eye hooks from pulling motors. I would have hung those straps alot lower - almost touching the floor.....give alot more room to lift. It will either not have axles on it, or at least no wheels when the cab and bed go back on.....trying to keep it as low as possible.

You got this bro.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
No, just one on each door, two cargo straps and played with length til it balanced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1