Removing 1 of the dual tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Is there any steps to take while taking 1 of tanks off for body work?, I have dual tanks. Is it simply do not push the tank switch, or do I need to plug the fuel lines that go to the dropped tanked? I still want to be able to drive the truck. Thanks

Brett77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
502 stroker
I did remove one tank and simpley went direct with supply and return to one tank an eliminated the switching valve.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I went to pull it out and the damn hoses weren't even hooked up,I've never used a passenger side tank sine I've had the truck, problem solved.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Usmczo6,

But isn't the tank on the pass. side the main tank? It's the one on the drivers side that is the second tank. At least that's the way it shows it in the factory maint. book I have. Because it has the valve on it where the pass. tank doesn't. All the extra hoses and crossover's come from the drivers side tank, don't they? Oh, is yours a 4x4? That might be different than a 2 wheel drive truck. It's showing a 2wd in my maint. book and it's a real factory book I got from my local Chevy dealer many years ago. They were cleaning out some lockers and were going to get rid of it. I asked them for it and they said, "Yeah, you can have it."

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@Usmczo6,

But isn't the tank on the pass. side the main tank? It's the one on the drivers side that is the second tank. At least that's the way it shows it in the factory maint. book I have. Because it has the valve on it where the pass. tank doesn't. All the extra hoses and crossover's come from the drivers side tank, don't they? Oh, is yours a 4x4? That might be different than a 2 wheel drive truck. It's showing a 2wd in my maint. book and it's a real factory book I got from my local Chevy dealer many years ago. They were cleaning out some lockers and were going to get rid of it. I asked them for it and they said, "Yeah, you can have it."
Dealerships dont make any transaction that doesnt benefit them.
You paid for that book somehow in either overpaying on cars, service, or under paying you as a qualified employee(you said years ago so im assuming dealers were more competant in the service aspect) or a deep, dark acquisition of human energy.

so, im glad you picked up your book :D:D if that sounds like drunken ideation then i must be white girl wasted

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The “main” tank changed over the years. From ‘73 to about ‘80 the main tank was the passenger tank, so single tank trucks had one tank on the passenger side. In 1981 (I think) they switched and made the driver’s side tank the main tank, and single tank trucks had only a driver’s side tank.

With dual tanks, AFAIK the tank solenoid has always been on the passenger side frame rail near that tank. It’s easy to bypass the solenoid and only connect up one set of tank lines. On older solenoids with only one terminal, with no power to the solenoid it will just default to the main tank. I believe the newer six port solenoids have a small motor inside, so I’m not sure what happens when there is no power applied.

Bruce

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm in process of doing the opposite. I have a single tank truck that I'm adding a second. Mine is an 84 and the main or in my case single tank is the drivers side. If the tank removal is temporary I'd just plug the lines off so dirt doesn't get in and not push the switch. If it's permanent then I'd remove and or bypass the switch under the truck which will be on the pass. side frame.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The “main” tank changed over the years. From ‘73 to about ‘80 the main tank was the passenger tank, so single tank trucks had one tank on the passenger side. In 1981 (I think) they switched and made the driver’s side tank the main tank, and single tank trucks had only a driver’s side tank.

With dual tanks, AFAIK the tank solenoid has always been on the passenger side frame rail near that tank. It’s easy to bypass the solenoid and only connect up one set of tank lines. On older solenoids with only one terminal, with no power to the solenoid it will just default to the main tank. I believe the newer six port solenoids have a small motor inside, so I’m not sure what happens when there is no power applied.

Bruce
I know there were single tank trucks with the tank on the passenger side, because I've seen them. My 1984 is on the driver side. My Dad had a 78 GMC K20 from about 1980, until the mid-90's and it was duel tank. 20 gallon main on the drivers side and 16 gallon aux on passenger side. So I'm not sure when the change over occurred, of course it could be a different year from Chevrolet and GMC.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a 1980 dual tank truck with a 81+ single tank bed

My reaction is always "oh, grandpa" in he used the driver tank and just ran the filler neck to wheel well and cut it a hole to pour gas down

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

No, none of that. I was over at my local chevy dealership one day buying some parts and mentioned to them, "I wish I had a factory book on my truck." So, they said, "Hey, follow us." And they took me back into the catacomes and ended up in this dengy locker room. This dealership had been there since the early '30's. In these old ass wall lockers were all these old maint. books where I found the one for my truck. I asked them, "How much?" They said, "Nothin'" "You can have it." "We don't work on those trucks that old much anymore." So, I've been using it since, which began in '95 when I started rebuilding my truck.

@75gmck25,

Oh, I didn't know that it had changed to the drivers side. Okay. I've thought about putting saddle tanks in but that's a big mod and I don't think I would have the money to keep two tanks gassed up. I have enough of a problem keeping one full. Besides, I haven't driven my truck since last November when my transmission problems started. I have finally saved up enough to get it overhauled now. But DANG! Right when the prices are going up! Well, it wasn't all that cheap last Nov. I was paying $2.16 for mid-grade.

@AuroraGirl,

I've seen that!! I wondered what the hell people were doing with an old radiator hose about six feet long going over to the tank on the other side of the bed! Ha, ha, ha I asked them, "What the hell?" And they said they were to lazy to walk around to the other side to put the gas in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28