Refurbishing Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So I have a terribly cracked dash and was planning on recovering it with vinyl. I basically filled the cracks with caulk to make it somewhat flat, and was going to glue black vinyl over top it. I thought about maybe putting foam underneath, but either way it will still probably be fairly uneven, and I will still always know how crappy it looks underneath. Is there a way to reuse the metal frame and refoam it and lay a custom leather over top?

I'd like that more than buying a new dash because I can choose the color and texture of the dash and could reupholster the seat to match. I could make it look more custom and cool than just a replacement stock dash. It would still probably be cheaper to do that than buy a new dash if thats possible. A new dash in tan costs around 500$ from USA1.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So I have a terribly cracked dash and was planning on recovering it with vinyl. I basically filled the cracks with caulk to make it somewhat flat, and was going to glue black vinyl over top it. I thought about maybe putting foam underneath, but either way it will still probably be fairly uneven, and I will still always know how crappy it looks underneath. Is there a way to reuse the metal frame and refoam it and lay a custom leather over top?

I'd like that more than buying a new dash because I can choose the color and texture of the dash and could reupholster the seat to match. I could make it look more custom and cool than just a replacement stock dash. It would still probably be cheaper to do that than buy a new dash if thats possible. A new dash in tan costs around 500$ from USA1.
If you want to do vinyl, I think if you can even it out with filler decent enough i dont see why you couldnt lay down a paint or similar spray to make it even-er, then wrap vinyl. Just enough to make the ridges un-noticeable.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've got one of those ABS plastic covers fitted over mine, was on it when l got it. Not a great fit though.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
perhaps if old vinyl was sanded down or removed(esp what sticks up) the abs would fit better? its hard to add material over and get good fitment with how it was meant to sit in

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
perhaps if old vinyl was sanded down or removed(esp what sticks up) the abs would fit better? its hard to add material over and get good fitment with how it was meant to sit in
Is it possible to just peel all the old foam and vinyl off and start over from the bare metal frame though? Like is it possible to refoam everything and cover it with my own fabric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Is it possible to just peel all the old foam and vinyl off and start over from the bare metal frame though? Like is it possible to refoam everything and cover it with my own fabric?

Sure, anything is possible with skill, time, effort and expense...
You’ll be ahead of the game if you pull the trigger on a reproduction dash pad. Try Cheyenne Chevy truck parts around $300

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think starting from scratch would be harder than you think. thicknesses at different spots, angles, curvatures, etc

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size

If proceeding this way, I would ask an upholstery shop for a quote to do that. I'm gonna do this when I'm ready to do mine, but have no idea of cost

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
@Vbb199 was doing his dash a while back. Did you ever finish it up?

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Sure, anything is possible with skill, time, effort and expense...
You’ll be ahead of the game if you pull the trigger on a reproduction dash pad. Try Cheyenne Chevy truck parts around $300

They are showing all sold out or that does sound like a good option.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Just have to finish smoothing it out, then I can proceed with painting it.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
I found a old use ABS dash cap to try playing just for the experiment to put on a very craky dash that i have laying around!

1- unskin the old vinyl
2- do some prep on the resting old foam
3- prep the old dash cap
4- put some glue on it
5- try to put some tape everywhere it need it
6-let it dry 24h

not bad for a cheap stuff :)

You must be registered for see images attach