1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redneck Restoration 1986 1 Ton Silverado C30

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by Xephius, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Xephius

Xephius Junior Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Hey everyone,

I thought I would share my little project up here and see if I might garner a bit of advice as I get closer to wrapping it up. I picked up this nice 1 ton after the PO drive it into the dirt, or the dirt into it.... The PO's, PO, did a nice rattle can restoration on a nice '86 1 ton. They painted it light forest green (Lt Camo Green) with some rubber coated trim and a can of black interior trim paint. The motor was a stock 350 with a TH350 transmission. Apparently the second tank had some old, bad fuel in it that they put some good gas on top of, then added HEAT and several other chemical cocktails into. It was started driven around and when it parked, the fuel glued the pistons to the walls, the valve seal/guides, and lined the carb and intake with red paste. The next time it was started two pushrods were bent. My PO hence abandon it and his dents in my front yard before skipping town. grrrr. After negotiating a loss on the debt, this truck was part of the payment rendered. While not the best solution, I got the bones of a good truck...

So out went the old emission restricted 350, one of the saddle tanks that was full of silt and glue, and a bunch of hacked in wiring.

Since that time, I located a nice .30 over motor with KB pistons, 70's Chevelle heads (not the best, but not the worst) that have been ported a bit, long tube headers, Performer Dual plane intake,1.6 stock rockers and a 262/270 cam and a Holley Avenger 670 carb. Its not the greatest combo in the world, but I hope/expect to be somewhere around 300 HP with lots of torque and signature SBC lope.

Most of the hard work has been done. I expect to button it up in the next week rain permitting and break in the engine. I would like to have it on the road end of next week, but we will just have to see. I have never started a 350 for the first time without expert guidance.....

I have located a clock cluster, most of the exterior trim and just found the COOLEST LUND Visor for the truck. You can see pictures of it on the hood. I plan on ditching the tool box in favor of a roll/light bar and am looking for a winch/brush guard for the front end to protect the Longhorns I have to install. :) I also found a gun rack for the rear windows... Just stayin'

If anyone could help me out with the trim on my headligh buckets... It appears that I have a headlights from like a 83/84 and the grill from a 85.... Anyway, on with the pics....

Clear skies,
    Xephius

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. MannyDantyla

MannyDantyla Full Access Member

First Name:
    Danny
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    sbc350/sm365/np205
    Dig the green color, and the horse shoe.

Redneck restoration... like that youtube channel? I love watching that guy

3. Xephius

Xephius Junior Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Na, just figured I was a Redneck, and I was doin' it kinda Redneck style, so I just thought it fit. My 1957 1 Ton Chevy is getting a "Proper" restoration... ;)

I didn't blast the parts down to bare metal, just cleaned and painted in place. No rust, so just keeping it protected until I do a full body pass on it. That said, I really like the OD Green + Visor.

4. mistaake

mistaake Full Access Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Crown Vic
    Engine Size:
    LOVE THE COLOR

Sorry, nothing else useful to say.

5. Xephius

Xephius Junior Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    So a few more pics and updates...

I painted the grill "Raw Iron" metal flake from Rustolium. It looks really nice. I primed the grill, but didn't sand it down smooth. I thought that the paint would fill the imperfections a bit better, but it didn't. :) Thats ok, because it looks like a raw cast iron grill, kinda cool. If I had wet-sanded the grill using a high build primer, it would be smooth as glass. So if you want to attempt this, I would suggest planning on using 1 can of high build primer, and 2 cans of metal flake of your choice. A heat gun removed the tape from the stainless steel trim and I am taping them off now to get a OD stripe.

[​IMG]

I pulled the door panels so I can redo them. I plan on repainting them with Black Trim Paint, then recovering the vinyl parts with tooled pleather, or maybe burlap/horse blanket. Going to look at the fabric store today. But the jams and panels are getting a shot of trim paint before I put it back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine bay was not too bad. Lots of neglect, but no rust. I cleaned it out and put the first shots of paint. I need to trim out some more areas with black before we close it up, but its coming together....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the motor is done, mated to the transmission with a new seal and stabbed in the truck. Its not a race motor, but it should pull some stumps. I don't look forward to being a civilized driver for the next 2000 miles....

[​IMG]

While I am totally a Chevy guy, I really didn't want to put a 350 into the truck. My plan is to locate a 6.2 for it ASAP and put that in. But somehow, in the process of building one motor, I now have 4 complete motors... 2 new, 1 running and 1 in parts. WTF? They are like bunnies. Why don't diesels do that. Once I get this one running and on the road I plan to go to the nearest swap meet and empty my garage! I must say, this has been a lot of fun building this motor up. I may build another 350 to put into 80's Corvette-Kart Looks like hella fun.

6. Xephius

Xephius Junior Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    I did some more trades today. I have way too many 350's and need a 6.2 for this truck in the worst way. I am already hunting for one... :)

I sprayed the door jams with Rustoleum Trim Black along with the plastic screen under the cowl vent and the lower dashboard. They look great and are well protected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a base coat of Rustoleum Olive Drab Green on the entire truck. It really looks nice in the areas where the paint is fully covered. The smooth satin sheen is down right sexy... Still needs another top coat, and if I do bring her out to a show.... I might spring for a third coat...

[​IMG]

My truck is inspired in no small part by the F-Bomb as seen here..

[​IMG]

I don't expect to be as fast... but I do like that black racing stripe quite a bit... :) Once I get it running back out on the road, I will take some beauty shots in the sunlight and try my hand at some photoshop work.

Here is a shot of the 350 currently installed. Not too bad for what it is.

[​IMG]

More to come.....