"Rebuilt" 700r4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I was able to get my "rebuilt" 700r4 swap done this weekend, but it won't shift out of first. Im very sure now that the tv cable is right, even got the eddy adapter bit. I got it to shift once, then put it manually in first for a sec, put it back in drive, and nada.
My thought is the governor, but I want to be sure before I get my hands dirty again, I JUST got everything together. Any input on things to check are appreciated, the guy I bought it off of is supposed to come check it out tomorrow too so il update then, Thanks

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Also, a note on my tv adjustment. I pressed the sliding bit am the way back into the housing, locked the throttle cable down with slight preload, and nailed the gas down allowing the slider to come forward as much as it naturally would, ensuring that the point of max throttle and max tv movement were synchronized

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Oh boy, be careful with the TV cable adjustment. I put a Monster 700R4 transmission in an M1031 K30 I had at the time. The TV cable bracket position on the engine is critical to get a proper adjustment .

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds to me like a sticking governor. If you nail the throttle, let it wind out and then let off... Does it finally shift out of first, but then start off in 2nd after that? I've had two of them do that.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sounds to me like a sticking governor. If you nail the throttle, let it wind out and then let off... Does it finally shift out of first, but then start off in 2nd after that? I've had two of them do that.
Il have to give that a try, the builder was just over and said I needed to re adjust my tv linkage and talked me through it, il check the governor tomorrow if that Dosent work.

If it is a sticking governor, should I be able to just take it out and clean it with brakleen?

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
IMHO, the builder should have done that for you. The transmission can be severely damaged if the TV cable is not adjusted properly from the start. Ask me how I know this.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
IMHO, the builder should have done that for you. The transmission can be severely damaged if the TV cable is not adjusted properly from the start. Ask me how I know this.
Im starting to think the same. Il probably take it to a shop and have them doubke check for me

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I got it to work by loosening the tv cable. But now at WOT there's still a little bit more that i can pull out on the cable. Do I need to be worried about this? My shifts seem to be stacked a little bit too now that its loosened. How sensitive are these cables to adjustment?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you have a correction bracket installed on your carb linkage? The amount of pull on the cable needs to correct based on throttle opening, not just wide open throttle.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, seen a lot of 700's run around with improperly adjusted cables. Or even not hooked up at all. And while I'm sure it shortens their life span, it doesn't fry them in short order. When someone cooks one in just a couple hundred miles or less, I'd say the builder is to blame. But the TV cable is an easy way to push the blame on someone else.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ideally, there should be zero slack in the TV cable when the throttle is fully closed. (Wedge the choke plate open so fast idle speed isn't set). And at WOT, the cable should be pulled out as far as it will go.

On the very first one I ever adjusted, it appeared the cable was pulled all the way out at WOT. However, there was slack in the cable at closed throttle which made me drop the pan and do some detective work. Turns out the cable rod (on the trans end) was getting hung up in the cable housing, keeping the lever from moving the valve all the way in.

But anyway, it's not magic, nor does a pro have to do it.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Ideally, there should be zero slack in the TV cable when the throttle is fully closed. (Wedge the choke plate open so fast idle speed isn't set). And at WOT, the cable should be pulled out as far as it will go.

On the very first one I ever adjusted, it appeared the cable was pulled all the way out at WOT. However, there was slack in the cable at closed throttle which made me drop the pan and do some detective work. Turns out the cable rod (on the trans end) was getting hung up in the cable housing, keeping the lever from moving the valve all the way in.

But anyway, it's not magic, nor does a pro have to do it.
Il probably drop the pan soon if I can't get it set right

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
There is geometry correction not only for carb but also makimg sure the distance and angle are within the correct range from where the cable mounts on the intake

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
My current set up, il probably get a bracket to hold the tv cable farther over inline with the throttle cable

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400