Rebuild time for my 77 k25

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thedivingpirate

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Well after owning this truck for just a few months I blew my head gasket, never over heated just started spiting coolant out the over flow. Used a Napa block tester to confirm the blown head gasket.... might as well get the whole thing rebuilt. Its a stock 350 with a Gen 2 TBI. 4 speed manual with 3.73 gears. I just want smooth operation, its a daily driver with frequent 3 hour trips to the hunt club.
Enginetech is the kit i am going to buy, you guys recommend a specific cam or options to meet my needs.
Thanks
Chris

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If you’re doing a straight rebuild and keeping the TBI and swirl port heads, a Comp 12-304-4 is a good close to stock option. That and the lifters and pushrods, of course. There’s no point in grabbing a much higher lift/duration cam because the TBI heads are junk in terms of any performance potential.

Rick Dobbins

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
Chris crate engines are the way to go with the small block. They'll deliver it right to your door and pick up your old engine, IMHO. Or: have it rebuilt. I love machine shops so if you know a good one go for it. Gonna cost more tho. As far as the cam, of course if a shop rebuilds it then you can customize. Or tear apart the crate engine. Not a big deal to do that of course: the crate eng won't come with an intake manifold or valve covers so a cam swap is easy. I'd go with an Isky cam (they are the ONLY manufacturer guaranteeing a high Rockwell # for hardness). Cams today are notoriously "soft", so lobes wipe out right away if not broken in properly or they won't last long. Be honest with yourself on how the engine will be used: will it ever see 5000rpm? If not, go with a cam (we used to call them RV cams) that makes power from 1500-5000 rpm. Great idle, mileage and driveability. You choose a hotter cam your mileage suffers, vacuum is lower (goofs up vac advance, MAP Sensor, etc.) but will rev to higher rpms. But, it's a truck, not a race car. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep