Rebuild Auto Hubs or Replace with Manual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
In my 83 K20, it feels like I'm getting some significant drag when I let off the gas at any speed above 45 mph. I've confirmed that the transfer case is not in anything other than 2H, but when I try to turn the transfer case driveshaft, it feels 'notchy'. I've double checked the brakes, and all is good there. I'm going to be looking into the hubs this weekend. She's only got about 56K on her, but I doubt they've ever been serviced. Should I just rebuild (service) the existing auto hubs, or just bite the bullet and grab a set of Warns? I'd like to keep her as stock as possible, but I don't want any trouble out of them either.
I'm not planning on using her as a rock climber either. Just the occasional use at the beach or through the woods to the camp grounds on rare occasion.

What do y'all think?

Thanks!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
The only experience I had with auto lockers was on my 91 Burb, and I never noticed any issues. Nor the guy that had it after me that probably used 4wd more than I did.

He used it as a Scouting camping vehicle.

It is also easier to take out for access to the wheel bearings than a manual locking hub like on Goldie.

Not sure about rebuilding an auto, and if you determine they are bad or would probably be cheaper to replace with a manual hub.

But, that is only a theory- never priced them.

Best of luck !

:waytogo:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have a spare of auto hubs. For my purposes preferred them instead of manual

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I've had my auto hubs apart many times for maintenance and I'm very pleased with them. If you're not doing more than mild off-roading they're fine. If you're more serious they have some drawbacks. The only time I've ever had problems with them was when I used a high-temp grease that was too thick in the cold and would make them stick. If you're hearing clicking or buzzing noises you should look into them of they will self-destruct. And it's not too good for your differential either. One way to see if something is engaged is to have someone look under the truck while it's rolling and see if the front driveshaft is turning.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Mine has manuals... autos are nice but you need to make sure that they are properly maintained as others have said.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not to hijack or deter from the OP's question.....but is there any kind of 'front hubs for dummies' video or articles out there? Mine are manual. When I pulled them apart the grease looked like anti-seize and smelled like ass. There were rings missing from one side to the other, and the couple of times I messed with them before disassembly, I could never get them to work. The PO had a new set of the metal Warns in a box of parts, so kind of hints he knew something was messed up, or had messed with them to begin with.

I have them all apart - they need soaked in solvent - but the trick to getting them back together (not to mention, was all the parts there to begin with) is what escapes me.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Wanted to post an update for y'all...
So, I bought some Warns hubs and everything that goes with it, and was ready to replace the autos. However when I got up here, I started tinkering with them, and they seemed to be working as advertised. Decided to put a temporary tach in and see what the engine was doing. Looks like the 'drag' is actually engine braking. At 55 mph, she's pulling about 2500 rpm. When I let off the gas, the engine and trans come down together, almost like I'm driving a stick. I'm still digging into it, but it looks like the hubs are good to go. I may change them out one day, but for now, they seem to be okay, and it was only my ignorance that caused me to doubt them.

Thanks again. Y'alls input is always appreciate!!

ssgleoleal@yaho

Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
my autos starting doing things on their own. Swapped to manual....no issues

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Wanted to post an update for y'all...
So, I bought some Warns hubs and everything that goes with it, and was ready to replace the autos. However when I got up here, I started tinkering with them, and they seemed to be working as advertised. Decided to put a temporary tach in and see what the engine was doing. Looks like the 'drag' is actually engine braking. At 55 mph, she's pulling about 2500 rpm. When I let off the gas, the engine and trans come down together, almost like I'm driving a stick. I'm still digging into it, but it looks like the hubs are good to go. I may change them out one day, but for now, they seem to be okay, and it was only my ignorance that caused me to doubt them.

Thanks again. Y'alls input is always appreciate!!

What transmission do you have? Sounds like either torque converter is locked up or you have something internally in the transmission not working right, like a sprag not allowing drive slippage

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC