Rebuild and sell or part out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Ok, I need some opinions from y'all on what to do with this 305 and transmission. Just got the 454 and trans over to the shop today after work. And brought home the 305 and trans they pulled.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now question is rebuild or part out?

I have a new RV cam and lifters, a year old new Quadrajet, new painted mid headers, ps pump and alt. Edelbrock performer eps intake that a year old bought new. New skip white distributor. New fuel pump. Starter.

So if I rebuild I'll put the cam in and headers on. New pistons and rings. Clean up valves and hit em with some lapping compound.

Trans is shot I think because it would hardly move. But, maybe low on fluid. But can't get much for it.

So what would y'all do? I know if I rebuild it I don't get my money back from it but, I'd like to do it just cause I never have and would be fun to do and maybe easier to get rid of if it's all ready to just drop in.

Let me know what ya think

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That’s a tough one. I really feel sorry for 305s so I might rebuild it and not try to part out because the shortblock is still a 305 no matter what. The 305 can’t help it was born that way. I’m not gonna shower it with accolades, but I’m not in the camp that says let them die. If you have that kinda time, you could always bore and stroke it. It’ll never be a 350, but that’s the only way to somewhat escape being a 305. Is the tranny a TH350? You could try your hand at the whole power team, find some piece o’ **** roller GMT400 or something like that - even an old B Body - and drop it in and flip the whole package. If the car or truck was in okay shape, you might come out pretty good. People are lazy so if a 305 is already in a car or even a small truck, it may live to see one or even many more days.

Southcoast85

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c10
Engine Size
I'd freshen it up and drop it in my daily that's in it's final throws.:burnout:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't think you'll find much interest in a 305, so I wouldn't spend any money on it. If you can honestly tell a buyer that it ran OK, then you might get $150 for it, and that's a big maybe. I've seen guys give them away just to get them out of the garage! You might also consider selling the intake, carb, headers, and other parts individually on Craigslist. They're probably worth more that way than bundled with the engine. The Performer EPS intake is probably worth $75 if it doesn't have any stripped bolt holes, and is cleaned up a little.

The trans may be worth $50 to someone as a rebuildable core. It's possible that an overhaul kit and a few hours labor would fix it. Of course, that's got to be done by an experienced trans guy.

Last edited:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I don't think you'll find much interest in a 305, so I wouldn't spend any money on it. If you can honestly say it ran OK, then you might get $100 for it, and that's a big maybe. I've seen guys give them away just to get them out of the garage! I'd sell the intake, carb, headers, and other parts individually on Craigslist. Probably worth more that way than bundled with the engine.

The trans may be worth $50 to someone as a rebuildable core. Could be that a $150 overhaul kit and a few hours labor would fix it. Of course, that's got to be done by a knowledgeable trans guy.
Same here, get as much money out of it without having to rebuild.
I'm sure there are other projects that you can spend time on.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
Even if it was a 350 you wouldn't get your money back rebuilding it. I have over $7K in my 1982 3500 GMC flatbed and people only want to offer me $1000.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Dunno, if you think you'll ever get another vehicle that will accept that engine easily and you have a spot to store it out of the way, why not keep it as it sits.

If no storage, sounds like you could get more out of the parts separately. Or sell it all for the street value of the parts and they get the block/trans for free.

Just a few thoughts.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
All good suggestions. Probably gonna sell the parts separate because I could get more money that way. It was running good tho and hate to tear it down and k8ll it.

What would be a small car that would take a sbc and transmission easily?

Like was stated above I don't have any room in the driveway for another vehicle tho. So part out might be best.

Anyone need sbc parts? Lol

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
When I LS swap my truck later this year, I’ll be parting the 305 out because you can’t give them away around here. Newer carb, headers, starter, fuel pump, dizzy, plug wires, etc all add up to more than the package deal. Then I may make a coffee table out of the block and some rods/pistons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Not a bad idea. I've seen that done with a glass top and it looks great.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305

I don't like wine but, could use whiskey bottles. Looks good I like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8