Rear view mirror re-stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Can anyone point me in the direction of a quality way to reattach the rear view mirror? I’ve tried two kits from oriellys and followed the directions perfectly each time, and each time the mirror came off in my hand after putting it back on. What do the OEM guys use when they install them at the factory? Mine lasted 38 years.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I've used the kits a couple of times and never had a failure. Biggest thing is the windshield has to be clean, clean, clean. Use acetone, alcohol and make sure it has time to dry thoroughly. Also, I always let it cure overnight, even though the instructions say less time. The only other thing I can think would be a factor is temperature and humidity. Can't say I've ever paid attention to that though. YMMV.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've used the stuff from the stores many times. The trick is, only use the tiniest dab of the glue, leave most of it in the packet. Also like was said, leave it sit overnight before you put the mirror on it.

A good glass shop will have stuff that cures super quick and lasts a long time.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ok, I guess I’ll try a third time. I wiped the glass down with acetone, and then used the little pad that came with the kit. I let it dry for about 45 minutes before I put the mirror on, even though the directions said 30 minutes. Maybe the key is to give it like 24 hours.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had issue with one sticking, even glass shops could not get it to stay. After 3rd come back he tried using a different mount that he had in stock and it stuck just fine. Something about coating or surface finish on the aftermarket mount was off. We tried cleaning it, sanding it, nothing seem to work.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I just tried a third time, followed the directions, let it cure for 24 hours, and it still didn’t work. I guess I’m going to have to go to a glass shop and see what they can do.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
yevgenievich raises a good point. There are some contaminants like silicone that just never go away. Maybe try a new button.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
How are y’all dealing with the glass spotting on the rear view? When I did my windshield, the glass shop cut me an insert, but it pops out every now and then, and there could be a cleaner solution.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
A UV light is the trick if you've got one. For seeing leak detector in dyes and what-not?
With the yellow glasses and stuff? The blue light, you know!

Shine that on your glue a gang. Lettin it set up overnight or in your garage ain't gonna do **** to it bro, you need to go ULTRAVIOLET.
(that's how you make the glue dry)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Except windshield blocks uv.

disenough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
brice
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I had trouble with one on my truck. Then a guy at work told me to use epoxy. That was about 5 years ago
and still on. I have put 3 on with epoxy and not on has fell off. I clean the windshield with alcohol
and use a file on the button to get to new metal then glue it on and let it set overnight.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I ended up stopping by Safelite today, they put it on for free and so far, so good.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
When I worked at a body shop the only thing we used was super glue. I never saw anyone come back because the mirror didn't stay on. Use glass cleaner then alcohol to clean windshield.

80sHottrodder

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350c
I couldnt get mine to stick so I actually got one that mounts to the roof and screwed it in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8