Rear shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
My apologies if this has already been asked before, I couldn’t find any similar issues in the forum.

have a 1980 blazer that I took hunting this week. I heard a mild clunking noise underneath and discovered an issue where my rear shocks mount to the frame. The hole on the frame where the shock stud is mounted through appears to be elongated a bit. I plan on replacing the rear shocks but wondering if anyone has experienced this and if so how did you go about repairing it? Was thinking about welding a plate to the frame and drilling a new hole threw it. Wasn’t sure if just re tightening would suffice.

I can take some pics for reference if need be.

thank you in advance

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
My apologies if this has already been asked before, I couldn’t find any similar issues in the forum.

have a 1980 blazer that I took hunting this week. I heard a mild clunking noise underneath and discovered an issue where my rear shocks mount to the frame. The hole on the frame where the shock stud is mounted through appears to be elongated a bit. I plan on replacing the rear shocks but wondering if anyone has experienced this and if so how did you go about repairing it? Was thinking about welding a plate to the frame and drilling a new hole threw it. Wasn’t sure if just re tightening would suffice.

I can take some pics for reference if need be.

thank you in advance
You can get by with a couple of bigger washers on either side of the frame, but it will need to be addressed with a plate. Not only the wallowed out hole but it will most likely crack eventually.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As Mason said, plate it or some large oversize washers welded over the top. Not an extremely common problem, but it is common. Many times some of these type issues can be handled BEFORE they happen. About like the frame cracking out where the steering box is. Rather than wait for it to happen and then have to make repairs before you install the brace to beef it up, get the brace BEFORE it happens, then it never happens. You maybe past welding thick oversize washers now that it has happened and have no choice but to plate it.

But yeah, until you have time for the fix, go with oversize washers on both sides.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

Marcos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcos
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Thank you everyone for your replies, greatly appreciate the info

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I have the same problem on my k10. Caused by using regular bolts, instead of the proper mounting stud. Hey, I was 15 and stupid. Anyway, when I put new shocks on recently, I just cranked on the mounting stud with an impact. So far so good, although yours may be worse than mine is. I agree that it should be properly repaired before more issues pop up, but you should be good with washers and tightening as others have said. At least to get it back on the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128