Rear shocks after flip kit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jases Brown

Reaction score
First Name
Jases
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
I have installed the rear axle flip kit on my 87 short bed. I am now attempting to install the rear shocks. However on the driver side the flip kit hardware is interfering with the shock mount. What have you guys done about this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I have installed the rear axle flip kit on my 87 short bed. I am now attempting to install the rear shocks. However on the driver side the flip kit hardware is interfering with the shock mount. What have you guys done about this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went up not down. But it's all the same.

I used a 2wd FF 14 bolt, much lower shock tabs. Welded on some ORD tabs.

But they should also work for you no problems.

https://offroaddesign.com/catalog/bushingassemblies.htm

Sure some one may have a quicker/better solution. Lol

Maybe grind the bolt head way down, and install that way? That would be my quick fix.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Although these are about $50, it probably lets you use stock length shocks and doesn't require fab or painting.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Although these are about $50, it probably lets you use stock length shocks and doesn't require fab or painting.

I get that.

Just move the ORD tabs up an inch, and keep stock shocks, may even help the ride. No real fab. Knock off old, quick weld.

Paint still wont be $40.

To each his own.

Maybe my off road guy coming out. But those look hideous, and just bolt to the old shock mounts.

Yes they work, but Hideous.

Even if you go to a shop for the welding, it still ends up cheaper, and looks way cleaner(my opinion).

Last edited:

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Take it back apart and put the bolt through the other way. With the shock bottom in there preferably and take it back apart when it needs shocks again. Mine was close but I made it work. Best pic I have of it but you can see I had just enough room.

You must be registered for see images

Brett77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
502 stroker
I had to put the shock extensions on my 77 after the flip. It also helps with the shock angle after lowering your truck.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Looking at the picture, you could just grind a little bit of the plate off to be able to get the nut on the back side and then shorten the bolt a little bit so it doesn't try to stick through so much. 5 min with the grinder would completely solve your problem and wouldn't make it any weaker

Easternbikes540

Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I currently have the exact same issue with my 78 C10. I first tried the shock extenders but the ones I got mount outside the existing shock mounts which adds to the interference with that plate, plus they need to be bolted on in the same place anyway so they wouldn’t work for me. I also thought about grinding that plate back to make clearance for the nut, that will work on passenger side. On the driver side after the pinion angle is set the shock mount hole lines up right in the middle of one of the bolts on the flip kit so there is no way to grind that back. I am thinking about two options.
1: on my truck I can drill the shock mount hole on the shock mount bracket closer to the axle and the bolt/nut will clear
2: or I can cut/grind off the existing shock mounts and weld in new ones.

I haven’t completely made up my mind, was going to stare at it for a while longer tomorrow before I make up my mind.

I’ll let you know what I do and send you a picture, may help. If you figure it out let me know.

Thanks

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
I currently have the exact same issue with my 78 C10. I first tried the shock extenders but the ones I got mount outside the existing shock mounts which adds to the interference with that plate, plus they need to be bolted on in the same place anyway so they wouldn’t work for me. I also thought about grinding that plate back to make clearance for the nut, that will work on passenger side. On the driver side after the pinion angle is set the shock mount hole lines up right in the middle of one of the bolts on the flip kit so there is no way to grind that back. I am thinking about two options.
1: on my truck I can drill the shock mount hole on the shock mount bracket closer to the axle and the bolt/nut will clear
2: or I can cut/grind off the existing shock mounts and weld in new ones.

I haven’t completely made up my mind, was going to stare at it for a while longer tomorrow before I make up my mind.

I’ll let you know what I do and send you a picture, may help. If you figure it out let me know.

Thanks

:big_banana_Dance:

Great first post. Welcome from Tombstone, AZ.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito