Rear engine brackets.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Hey guys, does anyone know if the rear brackets on the back of the cylinder heads/block are easily removable with the engine still in the truck? My bud and I are working on a 87 GMC High Sierra 4x4. It has the TBI 350. We need to mount the intake to brake booster tube on the driver's side and the heater hose on the passenger side. I'm hoping we don't have to pull the motor in order to get them mounted but if so, so be it.

Also, how many bolts hold the brackets onto the motor? I'm thinking they have two bolts per bracket but just wanted to know for sure. If anyone has these brackets already off and would like to sell them, I would be interested as well. Thanks all!

You must be registered for see images attach

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The TBI must have a bracket much different than a carbureted truck, since I don't have any brackets mounted on the back of the engine except for the metal tube around the wiring running to the starter. However, all the bolts into the cylinder head, and the bolts that hold the transmission to the engine should be accessible from the engine compartment.

On a 4x4 its often best to crawl up into the engine compartment, sit on the radiator support and put your feet on the area on the driver's side where there would be a tray for the auxiliary battery. Then lean over the engine and support yourself with your left hand on the engine. You can do the same on the passenger side, and put your feet all the way down on top of the frame. However, somebody will inevitably come out to watch and make fun of you sitting up in the engine compartment.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hey guys, does anyone know if the rear brackets on the back of the cylinder heads/block are easily removable with the engine still in the truck? My bud and I are working on a 87 GMC High Sierra 4x4. It has the TBI 350. We need to mount the intake to brake booster tube on the driver's side and the heater hose on the passenger side. I'm hoping we don't have to pull the motor in order to get them mounted but if so, so be it.

Also, how many bolts hold the brackets onto the motor? I'm thinking they have two bolts per bracket but just wanted to know for sure. If anyone has these brackets already off and would like to sell them, I would be interested as well. Thanks all!

Pic of your engine bay?

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
I'll get one later. I thought I had one but nope. Let me see if there is a good one doing a random search on the Web.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Pic of your engine bay?
Here's a good pic of the bracket on the driver's side. It's the one there on the back of the cylinder head. It holds the intake to brake booster hardline. Trying to find a good pic of the passenger side bracket.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Pic of your engine bay?
Ok, here's a good pic of both brackets. The ones I need are mounted to the back of both cylinder heads. Driver's side for the intake to brake booster hardline and the passenger heater hose support bracket. If anyone has any good tips on how to remove some from a junkyard motor with the motor still being in the engine bay...that would be great.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It looks like 1 13mm or possibly 12.. hard to say, bolt head holding the bracket onto the head and then it just has the shape to kind of hug it nicely. I would get a long wrench with an offset or possibly none maybe a ratcheting kind and take your time. Need a ladder tho probably.

I have a carbed 350 in a 1980, but thats how much room I have. it would be laying on the engine with a board across kind of thing for me to reach that but I could in my vehicle. i would assume the clearance to the firewall is close to this

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I would take some flat stock, capture TWO head holes so you can probably use a junkyard passenger head to make a template for the driver rear, and the driver front to make the passenger rear unless they changed the accessory hole system after carbs.
I would just use something like aluminum with a corrosion barrier or some mild steel. that would stand up and you can mount however you feel like to that

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's not a very fun task, but they can be removed with the engine in place. You have to "feel" what you are working on, lol. Iirc, they are 3/8" bolts and only 3/4" long. 9/16" hex.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, I may have those brackets you seek. I'll have to look to be sure. I've scrapped several sets of them over the years but there may be some stragglers.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It's not a very fun task, but they can be removed with the engine in place. You have to "feel" what you are working on, lol. Iirc, they are 3/8" bolts and only 3/4" long. 9/16" hex.
They would prob be metric but the wrench would only fit a little.. looser? than the metric head. Unless bolts that go into the heads were still standard. buick 3800 water pump and intake (lower) manifolds were 3/8.. everything else on car and engines is metric. even into the 2000s

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They would prob be metric but the wrench would only fit a little.. looser? than the metric head. Unless bolts that go into the heads were still standard. buick 3800 water pump and intake (lower) manifolds were 3/8.. everything else on car and engines is metric. even into the 2000s

They were still standard thread. Even the later Vortec engines had standard threads in the heads.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Ok, thank you. I tried first with a 10 and then a 13 but no go and then the yard was closing so I had to leave.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Also, I may have those brackets you seek. I'll have to look to be sure. I've scrapped several sets of them over the years but there may be some stragglers.
Ok, thank you! Let me know and if you can get some pics as well, that would be great. Once it's confirmed, I will happily pay for them including shipping.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
It looks like 1 13mm or possibly 12.. hard to say, bolt head holding the bracket onto the head and then it just has the shape to kind of hug it nicely. I would get a long wrench with an offset or possibly none maybe a ratcheting kind and take your time. Need a ladder tho probably.

I have a carbed 350 in a 1980, but thats how much room I have. it would be laying on the engine with a board across kind of thing for me to reach that but I could in my vehicle. i would assume the clearance to the firewall is close to this
Thanks for your prompt response and your help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg