Rear discs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyboy367

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
For the 14 bolt semi float I've seen a few different disc brake conversions. What's a good one with parking brake that someone here has used? I have a manual trans so I need the brake.

Kevin Foust

Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
1978 and 1980
Truck Model
K30's
Engine Size
400?
As far as I know any of the kits brackets work with either Non parking brake or parking brake Calipers. Just a matter of buying them. The parking brake are Cadillac calipers and pretty expensive so most do not want them. The bolt pattern is the same for either style.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've done 2-3 conversions using Cadillac calipers and in my opinion, they aren't that good. You just can't seem to get enough pressure on the parking brake cable. I certainly wouldn't trust them on a hill or with any type of load. If you can swap in a ratcheting type parking brake pedal or use an e-stop that can pull on them until they take up all the slack, they work.

I'd look into a transfer case mounted parking brake as an additional option.

Flyboy367

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That is benny's, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Although a transfer case brake might not work. I dont have a transfer case lol. I'm honestly considering just getting a 9 inch. I'm planning on being more performance oriented.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That is benny's, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Although a transfer case brake might not work. I dont have a transfer case lol. I'm honestly considering just getting a 9 inch. I'm planning on being more performance oriented.

Sorry, was thinking K20 and not C20. The three trucks I've done them on have all been 4wd so my mind just went there. With the 9", most guys prefer the Discs off explorers. Anything that has a parking drum in the disc works well. I talk a lot people out of rear discs because of parking brake issues. You really have to get it right which usually costs some money and truthfully, other than wet or muddy conditions, a disc rarely outperforms a good drum. Drums are usually lighter as a package, dissipate heat very well, better mpg, and don't have the knock back issues that discs have if you do a lot of road racing type driving.

Flyboy367

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yea I'm always on the fence. My gf has a explorer and when I ordered brakes they sent a set of calipers for some reason. All I really know is I dont have the gears I want, a locker and the total brake setup needs to be replaced as my truck sat in a field for at least 10 years.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Drums are usually lighter as a package
Not in my case, lol. I had the biggest drums available on a 14ff and the drums must’ve been 40lbs a piece and stuck out of the wheel what seemed like a few inches. I was always afraid of hanging them on something. We don’t have inspections that look for a parking brake. I bought the caddy calipers new and they did not come with the arm that attaches to the park brake stud on the caliper—which was the first pitb, the second one was setting up the cables to work with them, and third was adjustment.

I’d like to get a driveline brake possibly, but I’d either need a 205 or a sye for my 208.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not in my case, lol. I had the biggest drums available on a 14ff and the drums must’ve been 40lbs a piece and stuck out of the wheel what seemed like a few inches. I was always afraid of hanging them on something. We don’t have inspections that look for a parking brake. I bought the caddy calipers new and they did not come with the arm that attaches to the park brake stud on the caliper—which was the first pitb, the second one was setting up the cables to work with them, and third was adjustment.

I’d like to get a driveline brake possibly, but I’d either need a 205 or a sye for my 208.
That's one of the few combos where discs make sense andaand lighter but not by as much as people thinkothink you add the caliper and mounting bracket. I also think the drum is more powerful than the disc in that app.

Flyboy367

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm not opposed to drums, I just dont need that much steel. I'm really contemplating just swapping rears out. I need new drums, all the hardware, wheel cylinders and lines. Then next level would be gears and a locker cause I plan to run the truck down the 1/4 every now and then. I'm just trying not to spend money 2-3 times to do a good setup

alphiesob

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Try Lugnut 4X4. He does really nice disc brake conversion kits. Nice, honest guy.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
I used a lugnut kit. I had some weird noise at first that i thought mighta been a warped bracket, but it has since stopped so i chalk it up to pads bedding in. I got two different looking calipers in the kit(probly would have worked fine)and i ended up using some 3/4 ton calipers i had laying around. Otherwise it was great.

You must be registered for see images attach

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Heres what the bracket looks like

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
If you have some fab skills try a 14 bolt out of a 2001+ 2500. I cut the factory spring perches and shock tabs off and welded new ones on to fit my truck. I haven't actually installed the rear yet as I'm waiting to acquire a decent set of 8 lug wheels and tires. They are the factory drum in hat style parking brake and are full float axles. Though if you're building a track truck it might be a bit on the heavy side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84