Rear Differential Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 hopefully converting to K2500
Engine Size
I'm pretty sure that the rear differential that's currently in my 83 GMC C2500 is a 14-bolt, 9.5 inch semi-floating, but let me know if the pictures show otherwise.

I'm wondering what I can do for a limited slip function. Can I just swap out the internals of this rear end for a limited slip unit? Or do I have to replace the complete axle.

If a complete replacement is the best option, what years are going to work? Either to be similar to what's in it now or to move up to a full floating differential. Thanks for the help.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
You can buy anything you want. If it's in good shape just get anything that suits your fancy. Air locker, weld it, Detroit, anything.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

the Eaton Truetrac LSD is supposed to be strong. No clutches to wear out. They make it for a 14bsf.

As for potentially swapping in a 14bff, just stay away from 1-ton axles. You’ll have to relocate the shock mounts and spring perches.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
If it is a semi floater, it will be a 9.5 c-clip style, 10.5 is full floater.
Go here: ://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/skuPage.914A538.specifications.html. Very good info, The gear locker Eaton Truetrac LSD, is the ultimate, but $$$$$. Detroit locker is excellent, as is there true track. most for around 500.00. I have Yukon stuff in a dana 60, very good quality. The LDS may never need to be rebuilt, though that is second hand knowledge, just to be clear. I have rebuilt the truetrc in the Dana, easy job except for removing the diff, real tough without a case spreader. 14 bolt is the easiest to rebuild of all the rearends. You tube University has many good videos on the rebuilds. Just getting ready to do mine, just gotta finish the wife's sauna first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes