Radio in-line fuses keep blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRBishop

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
84 C10... Installed a new radio and the yellow inline 1amp fuse keeps popping as soon as I turn the volume up. Not even really loud. Just as I turn it in the glass fuse blows. Any suggestions? Thanks

KRBishop

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
That is what it was from fac
1 amp fuse seems kind of low in rating ?

That is what it was from factory. Even has a label on the fuse holder. I was wondering if I could increase because of newer radio?

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So are we talking the factory fitted fuse at 1 amp and the new radio/stereo is now a higher wattage and output ? It will draw more power, especially as you dial up the output. Try a 2 or 3amp.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Yellow is usually used just to keep the preset stations and time on aftermarket units and should be a 12v constant power. Red should be your key on power source.

In saying this, there is no reason the volume should affect the fuse on the yellow wire unless both the red and yellow wires are connected at the same feed or possibly a bad ground.

mnsouth

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra 1500
Engine Size
just so we are all clear on this the "yellow" is the yellow wire from the after market radio? As Scott suggested that is often the save memory of presets and clock power so should be connected to an always 12Volt wire verses the red wire from the aftermarket radio that would be connected to a switched with the key 12 volt wire.

Don't go to a larger fuse stay at 1 amp or things might stay quiet even with a good fuse. :(

mnsouth

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Oh and red wire from the aftermarket radio I would guess is 3-5 amp fuse ... check the manual that came with the radio or check it out on the internet.

mnsouth

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra 1500
Engine Size
In re-reading your post if you are saying when you twist -lock the fuse holder together the fuse blows ? if so you may have already passed the point of no return and the radio has fried some guts. Longshot /hail Mary check to make sure you do not have a switched power out wire of the aftermarket radio used for power antennas or switching on booster audio amps that is touching ground.

KRBishop

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
UPDATE - Since the aftermarket radio was a higher wattage, all I needed to do was upgrade the in-line fuses within the red and yellow to match the 10amp fuse in the back of the new radio. From factory, they were only 1amp and 3amp fuses. Now that I did that, everything works great. Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84