R20 Stock Ride Height?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide how "saggy" my rear springs are in the '88 suburban (probably a bad joke in there somewhere ...). Anyone have a good idea of what the frame heights should be front/back? It's a 2x4 3/4 ton. I can't seem to find the right specs.

Thanks

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Here is from a manual. Disregard the highlighted part.
You must be registered for see images attach

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
Thanks, I know already now it has sagged some. No way it is higher than my old 1/2 ton v1500.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Are you sure the 1/2 was not lifted? My 3/4 4x4 is about same height as my old 1/2 4x4 with 2" lift. But those numbers should be correct. You might need to make adjustment if using non factory size tire

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
You're right - forgot about that. Had larger tires on the old 1/2 ton that weren't the old factory P235s. Good point.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Bit of a thread mine, but I'll blame google for unearthing it:) Anyway I've been thinking about doing something to make my 3/4 burb ride a little nicer. But first I wanted to see what sort of drop its had. Is there anymore specific measurements available to the above chart - anything that takes out the tyre size from the measurements would be nice as I'm sure my current 245/45/20 tyres are not standard diameter either. Rough measurements from the above chart buts my burb around 3-4" drop.

I currently like the stance on my burb but a smoother ride would be nice as its a little harsh at the moment

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
One issue I had with my '88 C20 Suburban (454) was the R/R spring had sagged causing it to crab walk. I know the PO had used it to tow his race boat before I got it. My spring on the right was 1/2" longer than the left.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Bit of a thread mine, but I'll blame google for unearthing it:) Anyway I've been thinking about doing something to make my 3/4 burb ride a little nicer. But first I wanted to see what sort of drop its had. Is there anymore specific measurements available to the above chart - anything that takes out the tyre size from the measurements would be nice as I'm sure my current 245/45/20 tyres are not standard diameter either. Rough measurements from the above chart buts my burb around 3-4" drop.

I currently like the stance on my burb but a smoother ride would be nice as its a little harsh at the moment
Good set of soft springs and airbags work well together for a better ride

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I thinking front could do with some drop spindles and then change the springs to something with a softer rate and maintain the current height. Or change to full airbag on the front as well could be an option I'll likely get the rears reset locally and I'll look at getting some leaves removed to soften it up

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Or air bags all around. Leave it at the height it is and replace the leafs with air bags. That way if you wanted to change it again take the bags out and put the leafs back in. Or what I've seen done is take all but one leaf out and then put the bag in. That way you still have some control of hop.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

You should be able to calculate out tire size difference. When I worked in tire stores, some vehicles have adjustable ride height, most commonly found on torsion bar suspension systems, but we'd have to set the ride height on those vehicles before alignments. For example if the stock tire height is 31" and your running a tire that is 32.5" tall you'd add 3/4" to the spec. because only half that increased height is under the wheel. easy.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Or air bags all around. Leave it at the height it is and replace the leafs with air bags. That way if you wanted to change it again take the bags out and put the leafs back in. Or what I've seen done is take all but one leaf out and then put the bag in. That way you still have some control of hop.
Full airbag to the rear would be ideal, but where I am it would likely be too much $$$ for registration engineering certification for me to bother with.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Full airbag to the rear would be ideal, but where I am it would likely be too much $$$ for registration engineering certification for me to bother with.

You can also drill out the front spring mounts and move them forward 4". That will let you run the 63" springs from a 3/4 ton GMT-400. They are noticeably softer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota