R134a Retrofit Kit Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Hello folks,

So today I started my attempt at getting the A/C in my truck goin. I'm going to try and do a write up that hopefully will benefit those who attempt this in the future.

I'm using a stage three kit from Original Air out of Tampa Florida. Attached is an unboxed picture of the kit and what it comes with. And also a parts list of what's supposedly in the kit.

I've just started installing the kit after removing all the old stuff and I must say, not off to a great start. Here's the issues I'm running into.

1-) condenser is shorter than the one that was originally in the truck.

As many of you surely know. The radiator support comes with two sets of slots on each side to which the lower condenser mounts slide into with some guides it has (pics also attached) to accommodate different size condensers. This condenser is even shorter than the length needed with both brackets on the innermost slots.

2- All four condenser brackets are like the top brackets.

The original lower condenser brackets are different than the upper ones. They came with the slides needed to insert the mounts into the radiator support slots. The brackets that I was sent are all like the top ones. They come with a retainer tab that has a hole for a screw. The radiator support DOES have a hole in the bottom where the brackets could be bolted in, but the tab on the brackets they send me is not long enough to make it to the hole. I've also attached pictures of this.

3) The lines coming out of the condenser don't clear the radiator support.

The original concept is condenser lines had a curvature built in that kept them from rubbing on the radiator support. The condenser they sent me has the curvature but it's not steep enough and I'd have to hand bend the lines in order to get the condenser to recess into its proper position.

I called Original Air and they claim to know that the condenser is shorter and that the four brackets are the same, but they say the radiator support is supposed to be able to accommodate their brackets. They said they've never had any issues with those brackets in the two years they've sold them. At this point I'm not sure if having to overcome all of these difficulties is fair for a kit I paid $860 for that claimed to be bolt in.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Also here's a list of what the kit came with.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat