R & R engine & transmission from P30 Step Van

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Help! I have been putting this project off for several years and just wanted to get ideas as to the best way to get r done.
I have a 1988 P30 step van with a bad transmission ( won’t move) my thoughts are to remove engine and transmission together, but will it come out the front or the side door? There is no door on the drivers side, only a sliding door on the passenger side.
What I’m thinking about doing is to drop the 5.3 engine and 4L60e transmission in this beast this truck is my rolling shop when I was building homes. I’m thinking of converting it to a rolling mechanic shop. Also the body on this truck is all aluminum.

Last edited:

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I put an engine in one years ago and I am pretty sure that I took it out of the passenger door. I split the engine and trans, I don't think there is any way to pull them as a unit. Even then it was a bear getting it in and out, not much maneuvering room for the cherry picker. The one I did was an 80's model with a steel body. Mine had a 350 in it.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks, I have been searching the www trying to find options, one says to jack the front end up 30” ( bumper height) off the ground and take the engine and transmission out the front, I have worked on a regular van engine removal and that was a job, but this looks like it would be easier to remove the whole body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat