Quick question on wiring up my HEI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
I know the red feed wire needs to go to 12 volt Battery+ and can be done at the ignition switch, but man that switch is hard to get too. I have a pink wire out of my fuse box that's plugged into the slot that says ignition can I tap into that or could I remove that pink and run the HEI feed there? that pink wire seems weak like it's 16 ga.
Thanks in advance, you guys are the best.

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
If you had points you just need to use the wire from the coil but eliminate any resistor wire or resistors so after startup the wire to the HEI stays at 12 volts. Second option is to use the coil wire to operate a relay switch that pulls in 12volts from the + starter wire or that lug on the firewall thats 10 guage wire.

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
that lug on the firewall you mean the one on the right hand side with two lugs? the coil wire is sort of off white color that used to be connected to the coil? you are saying I could run that wire to a relay and power that relay from the lug on the firewall? Sounds like a great option if I understand you correctly.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If your comfortable pulling apart the electrical bulkhead connector, it’s easy to eliminate the resistance wire completely and wire the HEI the way the factory did.

This is what you need from Napa. Pull apart the connector. Find the terminal for the old resistance wire. Push the lock tab in, pull the wire out. Make sure you note how the terminal goes in, and the cavity the wire goes in!!! Crimp a new 56 series terminal on some 14 gauge wire, slide it back into the connector (make sure it locks in place) and bolt it back together. No need for relays, additional plugs into the fuse box, splicing wires at the ignition switch, it’s done the factory way and correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84