Question about transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
I pulled my motor ( 350 ) and Im putting in a rebuilt 350.

I had a quadra jet ( i think thats the name ) I am installing a edlebrock AVS2, WHen I pulled the carb off the old motor there was the throttle cable that goes to the accelerator and on other side of the carb there was another cable that goes to the transmission. What is that cable ? and will i be able to attach that to my new carb set up ?

I saved and restored the 2 brackets that hold the 2 cables at the carb.

I have a 350 Auto trans with a 205 transfer case.

Thanks

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So that's probably the kick down cable for the transmission, in other words it is what tells the transmission to downshift when you press down on the accelerator pedal. It'll need to be hooked up to the new carb and you'll need brackets. Good luck on the brackets. There's a slew of them made aftermarket and in my experience they are all pretty much junk in my opinion, maybe someone will come along with one they have bought that seems good. The good news is it's not as sensitive as the 700R4 cable. The only other cable that could attach to the throttle / carb would be for cruse control, but then you'd have 3 cables, and you made no mention of cruse.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
I have the same set up except its a two wheel drive. I even have the AVS2 carb and everything. I don't know exactly which brand the bracket it is because my dad put it on and then later gifted the truck to me, but it is very similar to this one. You mount in on the left rear carb stud through the hole on the very left in the pic. The only issue I have is from time to time the bracket will come loose and swing back and forth with the throttle cable movement, which affects the kick down cable position causing the transmission to not downshift as it should. I haven't tackled that problem yet because I just pulled the engine out, but I would try a lock washer on the stud or maybe a nylock nut to keep it tight and resist backing out. Unfortunately, there are not too many better options with an Edelbrock carb. I think they do make a bracket for their carbs, but they want an astronomical amount of money for it.

Attachments

• spe-24283_br_xl.jpg
    spe-24283_br_xl.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota